Shobdon Court Castle

Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Motte Ringwork)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameShobdon Court Castle
Alternative NamesShobdon Church
Historic CountryHerefordshire
Modern AuthorityHerefordshire
1974 AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Civil ParishShobdon

A probable castle mound which was visible as an earthwork in 1972. It was 148 ft in diameter, with a flat top, rising 10-12 ft above the surrounding ground. It was surrounded by a dry ditch with slight traces of an outer bank and causeway towards the northeast. Field investigations carried out in 1972 found only the mound surviving, the ditch had been filled in. No evidence of a bailey was located. The castle was probably built in the early twelfth century. (PastScape)

Flat topped mound. Round 150' diam 10-12' high. Surrounding ditch recently filled in around N and E sides. In 1980 no sign of ditch. Now surrounded on 2 sides by egg packing plant and tarmac road on N and E where tracks formerly. Oak trees planted round upper perimeter of mound, probably in C18 landscaping, those that are still standing are huge, more stumps in bank (Scheduling Report). Mount surrounded by a fosse of considerable base, but in the present state only 16' high (VCH). Round with flat top, dry ditch surrounding mound, slight traces of outer bank and causeway towards NE (RCHME). Proportions suggest that this may be ringwork rather than motte. Slight traces of outerbank of RCHM are only suggestion of bailey; site needs new assessment of nature of outer earthworks and possibility of site being self contained ringwork (Roberts, J P. 11/1983. Correspondence and notes from the County Archaeological Officer. SMR card.) Members of the archaeology section of the Woolhope Club visited the site on 03/04/92. The site consists of a large motte surrounded by a ditch with slight traces of an outer bank and causeway to the NE (now filled in). There is possible horn work on the SW side (HAN, 1992). (Herefordshire SMR)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO399628
Latitude52.2603492736816
Longitude-2.88122010231018
Eastings339950
Northings262840
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Gill Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Shoesmith, Ron, 2009 (Rev edn.), Castles and Moated Sites of Herefordshire (Logaston Press) p. 256-7
  • Salter, Mike, 2000, Castles of Herefordshire and Worcestershire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 59
  • Stirling-Brown, R., 1989, Herefordshire Castles (privately published) p. 17
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 210
  • Pevsner, N., 1963, Buildings of England: Herefordshire (Harmondsworth) p. 288
  • RCHME, 1934, An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire Vol. 3: north-west p. 182 No. 24 online transcription
  • Gould, I. Chalkley, 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Herefordshire Vol. 1 p. 229-30

Journals

  • Halliwell, P. (ed), 1992, Herefordshire Archaeological News Vol. 58 p. 30-1 (plan)
  • 1972, Herefordshire Archaeological News Vol. 24 p. 4 (plan)
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124