Eardisland Castle

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameEardisland Castle
Alternative Names
Historic CountryHerefordshire
Modern AuthorityHerefordshire
1974 AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Civil ParishEardisland

This moated mound, probably a castle mound, is about 49m in diameter, rising 3m above the moat level. The proportions of the mound cannot firmly place it as a motte but the top (22m across) is large enough to have taken a shell keep. The moat is fed by a cutting from the River Arrow less than 100m away to the north. A causeway crossed the moat on the north-west, however this no longer exists and access to the mound is difficult. There is no trace of a bailey, but one could have existed and may have extended as far as the church road to the west and south-west. Fish can be seen swimming in the stagnant moat today. 1086: According to the Domesday Survey Eardisland was worth £12 (£6 before 1066) and was held by earl Morcar from the King. 1236: Eardisland was held by the de Braose family, who were responsible for building the castle. It later became one of the possessions of the Mortimers. 1650: Silas Taylor writes "there is on the north side of ye churchyard an old moated hall, was the seat of the Pembridges to have been". (Herefordshire Through Time)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO420585
Latitude52.2223815917969
Longitude-2.84939002990723
Eastings342070
Northings258580
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Shoesmith, Ron, 2009 (Rev edn.), Castles and Moated Sites of Herefordshire (Logaston Press) p.
  • Salter, Mike, 2000, Castles of Herefordshire and Worcestershire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 27
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 103 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 205
  • 1981, Herefordshire Countryside Treasures (Hereford and Worcester County Council) p. 15
  • RCHME, 1934, An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire Vol. 3: north-west p. xxix (plan), 47 No. 2 online transcription
  • Gould, I. Chalkley, 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Herefordshire Vol. 1 p. 226 (plan)
  • Robinson, C.J., 1869, The Castles of Herefordshire and Their Lords (London: Longman) p. 129 online copy

Journals

  • Archaeological Research Section Woolhope NFC, 1994, Herefordshire Archaeological News Vol. 62 p. 14 (plan)
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124