Cabal Tump, Pembridge near Leominster

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameCabal Tump, Pembridge near Leominster
Alternative NamesHunton Tump, Strangeworth Farm
Historic CountryHerefordshire
Modern AuthorityHerefordshire
1974 AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Civil ParishPembridge

This mound is located between Pembridge and Kington, south-east of Strangeworth Farm, on low-lying ground near the junction of a disused railway line. The moated mound is steep and roughly square with a flat top. It measures c. 12m across the base and rises c.4.6m above a dry ditch. The ditch was originally fed by a stream on the east side. The original approach was by a causeway entrance to the north. A drainage channel has been cut to the south, and this revealed very rough red, black and grey pottery. Partially-glazed roof tiles and early bricks suggest that this site had a later use as a pottery kiln. It had been thought that this was the site of an early castle site with moat but no stonework. However, more recent examination and the lack of surrounding outworks suggests that this is actually the site of a 12th century motte and a homestead of later date. (Herefordshire Through Time)

Medieval motte earthworks. Investigations in 1931 interpreted the earthworks to the north and south of the motte as traces of baileys. Excavations to the southeast of the moat also located the site of a possible pottery kiln. No in situ kiln remains were recorded but pottery wasters and fragments of burnt bricks were found. Several earthwork surveys during the early 1970s reinterpreted the bailey earthworks as a holloway and field boundaries. The motte, measuring 32m by 3.5m, was enclosed by a moat 6m wide and 1.3m deep. An entrance was present on the north side. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

Suggested as C12 square motte adapted as homestead at later date.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO345585
Latitude52.2207984924316
Longitude-2.95992994308472
Eastings334520
Northings258500
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Marion Phillips and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Shoesmith, Ron, 2009 (Rev edn.), Castles and Moated Sites of Herefordshire (Logaston Press) p. 232
  • Salter, Mike, 2000, Castles of Herefordshire and Worcestershire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 19
  • Stirling-Brown, R., 1989, Herefordshire Castles (privately published) p. 16
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 210
  • 1981, Herefordshire Countryside Treasures (Hereford and Worcester County Council) p. 14
  • RCHME, 1934, An inventory of the historical monuments in Herefordshire Vol. 3: north-west p. 162 No. 2 online transcription
  • Gould, I. Chalkley, 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Herefordshire Vol. 1 p. 251

Journals

  • King, D.J.Cathcart, 1972, 'The Field Archaeology of mottes; Eine kurze übersicht' Château Gaillard Vol. 5 p. 101-112
  • Kay, R.E., 1971, Herefordshire Archaeological News Vol. 21 p. 3
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124
  • Marshall, G., 1946, 'Potteries and pots in North Herefordshire' Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club Vol. 32.1 p. 4
  • Marshall, G., 1931, 'A Pottery Site at Pembridge' Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club p. 77-9, 130