Faulkbourne Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are major building remains

NameFaulkbourne Hall
Alternative NamesFalkbourne; Falkeburn
Historic CountryEssex
Modern AuthorityEssex
1974 AuthorityEssex
Civil ParishFaulkbourne

A 15th century mansion with the remains of an early 15th century timber framed house incorporated into the hall range. This range, and the cross wing at its north eastern end, date were built between 1439-49. The range to the north west was added 1449-94. The resulting courtyard house was altered in the 17th century, with the wing to the south east of the cross wing added circa 1693. The courtyard was roofed over in 1637. The house was further altered and extended during the 19th century. A licence to crenellate was granted in 1439, but the house was designed to impress and was not defendable. (PastScape)

The hall was acquired before 1426 by Sir John Montgomery, a Welshman who served in France under Richard Duke of York. There was then a timber-framed house on the site, which Montgomery encased in brick, having received licence to crenellate in 1439 (Pevsner, 2007, p. 351).

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTL802164
Latitude51.8175315856934
Longitude0.613990008831024
Eastings580200
Northings216400
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Nick robinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.
Copyright Nick robinson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) p. 352-3
  • Pevsner, N. and Bettley, J., 2007, Buildings of England: Essex (Yale University Press) p. 351-2
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of East Anglia (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 28
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 96-100
  • Cooper, Nicholas, 1999, Houses of the Gentry, 1480-1680 (Yale University Press) p. 65, 93
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 72
  • Pevsner, N., 1965, Buildings of England: Essex (London, Penguin, 2edn. revised by E. Radcliffe) p. 176-7
  • RCHME, 1921, An inventory of the historical monuments in Essex Vol. 2 (central and south-west) p. 69-72 no. 3 (plan) online transcription
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 299-300 online copy

Journals

  • 1985, The Archaeological Journal Vol. 142 p. 33
  • Floyer, J.K., 1913, 'English Brick Buildings of the Fifteenth Century' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 70 p. 121-32 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1907, Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry VI (1436-41) Vol. 3 p. 320 online copy