Has been described as a Questionable Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Questionable Masonry Castle
There are earthwork remains
|Alternative Names||Burghlow; Middleton; Milton; Burlow
|Modern Authority||East Sussex
|1974 Authority||East Sussex
A "fortified area"(Annotated Record Map E Curwen 1949) on which foundations of walls of indeterminate shape and form were visible pre-1824 (Horsfield 1824), but which had been excavated by 1835 and two large barns built of the materials (Horsfield 1835). Similar informations from Allcroft, who states that the area is "sown with coins" (Allcroft 1922).
Described by Clinch as Burghlow Castle (Class 'E' earthwork) a mount and bailey castle, the mount occupying the N part of the castle which has no outer rampart (Sussex Views 1951).
A view of the "Ruins of Burlow Castle" by S F Grimm (1770-80) is in the collection of Sir William Burrell at the British Museum (Sussex Views). (A copy in Sx Rec Soc Jubilee Volume " Sussex Views" shows only the plateau and no building ruins).
(Centred TQ530044) Dr Wards map of c 1618 is annotated "The ruins of the Castle of Burlow" (Ward's map is more of a sketch so position is only accurate to c 100-200.0m).
Shoosmith (1933) suggests it may have been a 12th c adulterine castle, but Evans (1933) indicates that there is no historical evidence and digging has produced absolutely no finds.
Musson, summarising the evidence, suggests that the name be removed from OS maps and C W Phillips agrees.
The name Burlow Castle (verified locally) refers to a natual hillock, bounded on the W by a steep river cliff, and elsewhere by slopes forming an excellent natural defence, though there is no trace of artificial defences or building foundations.
In 1972, the occupants of Milton House found IA/RB potsherds and Me worked flints on the site after ploughing, but no finds of post-Conquest period are known to have been made.
Field examination and local enquiries have failed to substantiate or deny the former existence of a "castle" (F1 NKB 31-AUG-72).
The East Sussex Archaeology Project field-walked the site under the supervision of Paul Smith, discovering 12th to 13th century pottery
An antiquarian print held at Barbican House Museum, Lewes, apparently shows the ruins of walls at the site.
Also from thee vicinity are a Mesolithic tranchet axe "BURLOW 1884" and Neolithic finds of an axe "BURLOW 1835", and a pick, "BURLOW 1882". (Holden) (PastScape)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||TQ530041