Burton Constable Tower

Has been described as a Questionable Pele Tower

There are masonry footings remains

NameBurton Constable Tower
Alternative Names
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityEast Riding of Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishBurton Constable

Great Elizabethan country house of red brick with stone dressings, constructed circa 1570 for Sir Henry Constable. Remodelled between 1730-78 to designs by Lightoller, Carr and Atkinson. James Wyatt and William Collins remodelled the interior at this time. It comprises a central three-storey block with castelled end towers and two storey wings. The south side of the house has a courtyard layout. (PastScape)

The chief house at Burton Constable, mentioned from 1294, succeeded Halsham as the family's main residence, apparently in the late 15th century. The site may have been moated, a curving ditch running around the north and east of the house until its reduction in the mid 18th century to a fishpond, which remained in 1995. The early structural history of the house is obscure. A length of ashlar wall at the centre of the north elevation forms one side of a nearlysquare room, which was later heightened in brick to become a tower. It has a turret staircase at its south-west corner, and both tower and turret have a possibly 15th-century, brick corbel table below the parapet. The two-storeyed range which abuts the tower on the east appears to be structurally contemporary; that to the south is late 16th-century but replaces an older building from which a disused fireplace survives on the south face of the tower. Those northern and western ranges, together with a southern one, formed a three-sided, courtyard house which was probably still being built in 1578 but seems to have been substantially complete by the end of the century. (VCH)

Gatehouse Comments

Much changed possible ?C15 tower, reports of few ashlar blocks remaining.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTA188367
Latitude53.814079284668
Longitude-0.196109995245934
Eastings518880
Northings436780
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Kent, G.H.R., 2002, 'Middle division: Burton Constable' VCH Yorkshire: East Riding Vol. 7 p. 129- online transcription
  • Neave, Susan, 1991, Medieval Parks of East Yorkshire (Univeristy of Hull) p. 26
  • Le Patourel, H.E. Jean, 1973, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire (The Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph Series 5) p. 111

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1904, Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem, Edward I Vol. 3 p. 114-5 No. 193 online copy

Other

  • Dennison, E. and Richardson, S., 2010, Burton Constable Deserted Medieval Village, Burton Constable Hall, East Yorkshire: Level 3 Archaeological and Historical Survey (Unpublished EDAS Ltd archive report 2009/366 for the Burton Constable Foundation)