Burstwick Hall Garth

Has been described as a Certain Palace (Royal), and also as a Certain Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameBurstwick Hall Garth
Alternative NamesBurstwick Castle
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityEast Riding of Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishBurstwick

A nearly square moat, said to be the site of Burstwick castle, may have surrounded the old house. The sites of two or more fishponds lie to the south of the moat (Poulson). Burstwick was one of the most important Royal manors in the north during the first half of the 14th century. The manor escheated to the Crown as part of the inheritance of Aveline de Forz in 1274. The residence, situated at Hall Garth was evidently built round a courtyard with inner and outer gatehouses together with chapels, a dovecote and a windmill, also a garden and two parks, the N park having a moated lodge with hall and chapel. There are records of maintenance from 1277 to 1354; the ditches and fish ponds were constructed in 1294 (Brown). (PastScape)

Caput baronie of Albemarle fee, on slight rise. One of the most important royal manors in the north during the first half of C14. Buildings, largely of timber, included two chapels, hall, chambers, etc. Moat added to existing house in 1291. (Le Patourel)

Gatehouse Comments

A site of such significance will almost certainly had some fortifications.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTA220290
Latitude53.7431907653809
Longitude-0.150839999318123
Eastings522050
Northings429010
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 17-18
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 320
  • Williams, Alison, 1996, 'Castles and moated sites' in Neave, Susan and Ellis, Stephen, An Historical Atlas of East Yorkshire (University of Hull Press) p. 32-3
  • Neave, Susan, 1991, Medieval Parks of East Yorkshire (Univeristy of Hull) p. 23-5
  • Le Patourel, H.E. Jean, 1973, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire (The Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph Series 5)
  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works Vol. 2: the Middle Ages (London: HMSO) p. 903-5
  • Poulson, G., 1841, The History and Antiquities of the Seigniory of Holderness Vol. 2 p. 352- online copy

Journals

  • Le Patourel, H.E. Jean, 1972, 'Moated sites of Yorkshire: a survey and its implications' Ch√Ęteau Gaillard Vol. 5 p. 121-132