Bridlington Priory

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are no visible remains

NameBridlington Priory
Alternative NamesThe Bayle Gate; Bridlyngton
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityEast Riding of Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishBridlington

The Priory of Augustinian Canons, at Bridlington, was founded before 1113-4, and dissolved in 1537. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

This was one of the largest houses of the order. The priory was fortified or provided with a strongpoint in 1143 but this was seized by William le Gros, Count of Aumale. No remains of these fortifications. The priory was granted a licence to crenellate in 1388, by King Richard II. The actual licence, a very rare survival, is on display in the Bayle gate. The large vehicular archway of The Bayle was the priory's main entrance and the interior passage gives access to small wings, both with a garderobe, one being the porter's lodge and the other a prison. Accessed by spiral stairs, is a large first floor chamber, used as the Court of the Priors and although altered and repaired in brick during C17, the gate, still retains its original form and arrangement. The gate dates to the C12 and some speculation is given to it being associated with William le Gros. It was altered to the latest fashion in the early C14 and the large upper chamber was added about the time of the licence to crenellate. In its current form it is not crenellated and no old illustrations show it with crenellations. The nave of the Priory church survives as the parish church. The shire of St John of Bridlington, the last English saint created before the reformation, is long lost. The licence to crenellate was probably associated with the prolonged canonisation process for St John and the creation of a pilgrimage shrine at Bridlington.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTA176679
Latitude54.0935401916504
Longitude-0.203600004315376
Eastings517690
Northings467960
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles and Tower Houses of Yorkshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 26
  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 132-3
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 319
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 531, 535
  • Allison, K.J. (ed), 1974, VCH Yorkshire: East Riding Vol. 2 p. 45-6
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 117
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1913, VCH Yorkshire Vol. 3 p. 199-205
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 420 online copy
  • Grainge, W., 1855, Castles and Abbeys of Yorkshire p. 222-30 online copy

Journals

  • Coulson, C., 1982, 'Hierarchism in Conventual Crenellation: An Essay in the Sociology and Metaphysics of Medieval Fortification' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 26 p. 69-100 see online copy
  • Clapham, Sir Alfred, 1950, 'Yorkshire churches (Notes)' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 105 p. 82 online copy
  • Crossley, E.W., 1910-1911, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 21 p. 174
  • Caley, John, 1821, 'Copy of a survey of the Priory of Bridlington, in Yorkshire, taken about the 32nd year of Henry VIII. Communicated by John Caley, keeper of the records in the Chapterhouse at Westminster: in a letter to Henry Ellis' Archaeologia Vol. 19 p. 270

Guide Books

  • Keeton, Fione, 2002, The Bayle Museum, an illustrated guide (Lords Feoffees and Assistants of the Manor of Bridlington)

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1900, Calendar of Patent Rolls Richard II (1385-89) Vol. 3 p. 439 online copy