Beverley Town Defences

Has been described as a Certain Urban Defence

There are major building remains

NameBeverley Town Defences
Alternative NamesNorth Bar; Norwood Bar; Newbegin Bar; Eastgate Bar; Keldgate Bar
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityEast Riding of Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishBeverley

C14 town had ditch and earth ramparts and five masonry gates. North Bar survives, although rebuilt in brick in 1409. No murage grants, but town petition to parliament after Scots raid in 1321, indicates desire to wall town.

The North Bar was built in 1409 at a cost of £96 0s 11½d. 2 storeys in brick with room over archway. North face shows buttresses framing a depressed pointed arch over which is a late C17 cartouche of arms in carved stone. 2 blind niches and 1 window have trefoil heads and label moulds with finials. Under the embattled parapet is a cogged string course. South face, main opening has label mould. 3 trefoil arches are grouped inside the strings arranged gablewise surmounted by finial. 3 brick shields. 2 small modern windows. Cogged string and embattled parapet lined in by a pilaster strip on corbels. Interior of main opening has plain brick vault to contour of arch. Rib vaulted in 2 bays with single chamfered brick ribs and portcullis groove. 2 modern side openings outside the original building for pedestrians. The house is of early C18 origin, refronted by William Hawe in 1866, attached to the Bar on the east. 2 storeys in stuccoed brick with moulded egg and dart architraves to windows. Band. Deeply moulded eaves cornice. Parapet with vase-shaped balusters of square plan. Giant pilasters framing each elevation, with urns on the parapet above. 1:2 windows on east face, 4 on north, 3 on west. Front door on each side has wood case with 2 reeded attached Doric columns, 2 side lights, fanlight, 6-panel door and entablature broken over columns. Plain tile roof. Tower with 4 round-arched windows has slated roof and delicate cast iron balustrade. Some of the interior features date from William Middleton's alterations of c.1793-4 including a chimneypiece with cast 'Adam' ornament. Staircase apparently C19, probably replacing the principal C18 one, as it has early C18 wainscot with moulded panels to dado height, as does the hall

The stair which was formerly the back stair to the two houses when one, is C18, altered; closed string, plain newels, moulded handrail, and the lower flight has C19 flat-cut ornamented balusters. Nearly all door frames have early C19 reeded architraves. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTA030398
Latitude53.8449287414551
Longitude-0.435900002717972
Eastings503010
Northings439880
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 2013, Medieval Walled Towns (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 33
  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) p. 349, 350
  • Creighton, O.H. and Higham, R.A., 2005, Medieval Town Walls (Stroud: Tempus) p. 37, 39, 90, 92, 135, 147, 207, 218, 267
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles and Tower Houses of Yorkshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 20
  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 130-1
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 281
  • Allison, K.J. (ed), 1989 'Fortifications' VCH Yorkshire: East Riding Vol. 6 p. 178-80 online transcription
  • Bond, C.J., 1987, 'Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Defences' in Schofield, J. and Leech, R. (eds) Urban Archaeology in Britain (CBA Research Report 61) p. 92-116 online copy
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 534
  • Miller, K., Robinson, J., English, B. and Hall, I., 1982, Beverley: an Archaeological and Architectural Study (London: HMSO, RCHME Supplementary Series 4)
  • Ryder, P.F., 1982 (paperback edn 1992), The Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (Ash Grove Book) p. 140-1
  • Barley, M.W., 1975, 'Town Defences in England and Wales after 1066' in Barley (ed) The plans and topography of medieval towns in England and Wales (CBA Research Report 14) p. 57-71 download/view online
  • Turner, H.L., 1971, Town Defences in England and Wales (London) p. 99-100
  • Sheahan, J.J., 1856, The Town of Beverley
  • Poulson, George, 1829, Beverlac; or, The antiquities and history of the town of Beverley (London) (contains important transcriptions/translations of primary sources) online copy

Antiquarian

  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 534, 569
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1907, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 47 online copy ; Vol. 5 p. 39 [online copy > http://archive.org/stream/itineraryofjohnl05lelauoft#page/39/mode/1up]

Journals

  • Creighton, Oliver, 2006, ''Castles of Communities': Medieval Town Defences in England; Wales and Gascony' Château Gaillard Vol. 22 p. 75-86
  • Miller, K., 1984, 'Beverley town defences' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 141 p. 21–2
  • Miller, K., 1984, 'Beverley, North Bar' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 141 p. 23–5
  • 1959 Nov 19, Country Life
  • Floyer, J.K., 1913, 'English Brick Buildings of the Fifteenth Century' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 70 p. 121-32 online copy
  • Leach, A.F., 1896, 'The building of Beverley Bar' East Riding Antiquarian Society Vol. 4 p. 26-37
  • Bilson, J., 1896, 'The North Bar, Beverley' East Riding Antiquarian Society Vol. 4 p. 38-49

Primary Sources

  • Strachey, J. (ed), 1767-83, Rotuli Parliamentorum; ut et petitiones, et placita in Parliamento (London: Record Commission) Vol. 1 p. 394 (superseded by Given-Wilson, C. (ed), 2005, The Parliament Rolls of Medieval England Access via PROME (subscription required)) (This petition to wall town is also translated in Poulson, G., 1829, Beverlac p. 95 [online copy > http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FbJCAAAAYAAJ])
  • Leach, A.F. (ed) Beverley Town Documents (Sheldon Society 14) p. 26-7 (North Bar building accounts) p. 31 (C14 and C15 accounts of upkeep of bars)

Other

  • Humber Archaeology, 2003, An Archaeological Evaluation at Kitchen Lane, Beverley (East Riding of Yorkshire Report 146)