Hooton Pagnell Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameHooton Pagnell Hall
Alternative NamesHooton Paynel
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityDoncaster
1974 AuthoritySouth Yorkshire
Civil ParishHooton Pagnell

Manor house, now subdivided to form seven dwellings. The earliest surviving fabric dates from the 14th and comprises a stone-built gatehouse with a polygonal oriel window in the upper storey. The house was extended in the 18th century and extensively restored between 1894-1904. An outer gateway built in the Arts and Crafts style was was added in 1914-20. (PastScape)

Manor house now 7 residences. C14 with C18 rear wing and garden front of 1787 said to be by William Lindley (previous list description); extensively restored 1894-1904. Ashlar and rubble limestone, stone slate roofs. Irregular L-shaped plan with roadside front having gatehouse on left and four 1st-floor windows on right; 9-bay garden front on right return; extended wing to rear of main range. Roadside front: 3 storeys. Gatehouse to left has 2 moulded plinth bands and offset buttresses flanking a moulded, Tudor-arched carriage entrance with a pointed-arched pedestrian entrance on its left; trefoil-headed single-light window above. Polygonal oriel window to top-left corner has cusped window to each face and dripmould extending to right above 2-light window with cusping and hood. Housepart to right has 2 more buttresses with, on left, 2 double-chamfered cross windows and similar 3-light window each with hoodmould; 1st-floor windows with trefoil-headed lights, similar 4-light window beyond buttress to right. 2 oversailing courses beneath total of 5 two-light windows with cusped, ogee lights and hoodmoulds linked by oriel dripmould, 2 windows have shields beneath the hood. Corniced parapet bears traces of earlier gables. Hipped roof with corniced ridge stacks, embattled turret set to rear. (Listed Building Report)

Hunter states that no hall or house is mentioned as existing at Hooton Pagnell at the time of the Yorkshire Domesday Survey, but a hall at Hooton Pagnell is mentioned in the foundation charter of the Priory of the Holy Trinity at York, dated 1089

Hunter mentions a grant by Roger Eberston, sacrist of the Chapel of St. Mary at York, of "all his mansion at Hooton Paynel" to Thomas de Bolton, Vicar of Hooton Pagnell, on the morrow of St. Matthew the Apostle, 1411; the grant was confirmed by Henry, Archbishop of York, on 14th Jan.1411. The oldest portion of Hooton Pagnell Hall is attributable to the Luterel family. It is a room with an oriel overlooking the fourteenth century archway on the N.W. side of the building. (PastScape ref. Hunter)

Gatehouse Comments

The Tudor house presumably sits on the site of the medieval manor house although how fortified this was, other than the surviving gatehouse, is not really known.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE485078
Latitude53.5651092529297
Longitude-1.26797997951508
Eastings448580
Northings407860
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Hey, David, 2003, Medieval South Yorkshire (Landmark Publishing) p. 78
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles and Tower Houses of Yorkshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 48
  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 25-6
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 349-50
  • Ryder, P.F., 1982 (paperback edn 1992), The Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (Ash Grove Book) p. 108-22
  • Magilton, J.R., 1977, The Doncaster District: An Archaeological Survey (Doncaster) p. 51
  • Ruston, A. and Witney, D., 1934, Hooton Pagnell, The Agricultural Evolution of A Yorkshire Village p. 256-259
  • Hunter, J., 1831, South Yorkshire. The History and Topography of the Deanery of Doncaster in the Diocese and County of York Vol. 2 p. 140-5

Journals

  • Birch, J., 1981, 'The castles and fortified houses of South Yorkshire' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 137 p. 374-6
  • Wood, G.B., 1950 June, 'Hooton Pagnell Hall' Yorkshire Illustrated
  • Whiting, C.E., 1944, 'The Huttons of Hooton Pagnell' Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society Vol. 6.1 p. 25-37 (C17 history only)