Stoney Middleton Castle Hill

Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Ringwork)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameStoney Middleton Castle Hill
Alternative Names
Historic CountryDerbyshire
Modern AuthorityDerbyshire
1974 AuthorityDerbyshire
Civil ParishStoney Middleton

Semi-circular earth platform, considered to be the remains of a castle mound, but has also been interpreted as the footings of a summer house. Platform, mound and a possible associated bank are visible as earthworks on air photographs mapped as part of the Derbyshire and Peak District Aggregates Assessment Project. Remnants appear to be still extant on Google Earth 2005 photography (accessed on 26th June 2009). (PastScape)

'The eminence known as "Castle Hill" is a conical summit on the Bank, Stoney Middleton, commanding a good view from the south. It is undoubtedly an old British earthwork or watch tower with a surrounding wall and a vallum, or ditch, leading to another similar hill called Castra Bank…Much might be gleaned by excavating at the summit by means of a pick and shovel. At the demolition of an old barn belonging to Dennis Ragg, of Stoney Middleton Bank, in 1806, an iron battle axe 4 feet long was found in a side wall…'. (Cowen). 'Castle Hill, a village landmark...The hill is surmounted by a circular earthwork, and an ancient battle-axe and other articles have been brought to light from time to time'. (Daniel). Small semi-circular earth platform, probably a site for a summer house and of no archaeological interest. (Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-NOV-65). Stoney Middleton - Castle Hill ringwork is situated on a small hill and is well located to command east-west traffic. A ditch some 8-10m wide encircles a flat platform, oval in plan and 12-25m across. Pot-sherds of 13th to 14th century date have from time to time been revealed by the activity of moles (Hart). (Derbyshire HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Earlier version of the National Monument Record seem to have accepted the 1965 dismissal of this site (which influenced Gatehouse to dismiss the site in early versions of this record). However, Hart's description and interpretation seems to suggest is may well be a small ringwork in an entirely likely location for such, near to the church, on a road where it enters a narrow gorge leading to the important lead and silver mines of Derbyshire.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK230755
Latitude53.2763481140137
Longitude-1.6557799577713
Eastings423050
Northings375540
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Smith, Michael E., 1992, Castles and Manor Houses in and around Derbyshire (Derby)
  • Hart, C.R., 1981, The North Derbyshire archaeological survey to AD1500 p. 146
  • Cowen, T.E., 1941, In Derbyshire Dales (Sheffield: Sheffield Newspapers Ltd) p. 13

Journals

  • Daniel, C., 1954, 'Stoney Middleton' Derbyshire Countryside Vol. 20 p. 64-66