Morley Moor Mound
Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Motte)
There are earthwork remains
|Name||Morley Moor Mound
|Alternative Names||Morley House Farm; The Mound; Toot Hill
'On Morley Moor, about 450 yards to the west of the church, is a large mound, now bearing many well-grown trees, and still nearly surrounded by a well filled moat'. It is considered to be a 'very perfect specimen' of a Castle Mount, and has a nearly level platform on the top, about 15 ft in diameter. 'Owing to the hedge being broken down, the lower parts of the mound are rapidly crumbling away under the tread of cattle and children' (in 1905) (VCH).
The Moated Mound near Morley beside the way from the Sacheverell Almshouses is locally called the Toot Hill. The editor of the Derbyshire Archaeological Journal in 1935 suggested that the mound might be 'the ancient moot of the Morleston Hundred' (Tudor).
'Moated Mound… probably a fortified dwelling or other stronghold' (Pevsner).
A large conical mound, tree covered and partly surrounded by a ditch/pond. It does not look like a motte and the top is too small to have held any form of structure; similarly, it cannot be a gazebo or mill mound. The feature is not in a strongly defensive position and its purpose was probably ornamental. (F1 FDC 02-JAN-67). (Derbyshire HER)
Although the motte south-west of Morley House Farm has been disturbed by scrub, the monument survives well and is sufficiently intact for archaeological remains relating to the structure of the motte and the associated keep to be preserved. In addition, well preserved organic and environmental remains will survive in the waterfilled ditch.
This monument, known locally as The Mound, is a medieval motte and includes a flat-topped conical mound surrounded by a 6-9m wide waterfilled ditch which is crossed by a causeway on the south-east side. The motte is 15m wide at its base and c.4m high and very steep-sided. A timber tower or keep would originally have stood on the motte whose top is c.5m wide
Formerly there may also have been an attached bailey or outer enclosure which would have contained ancillary buildings and pens for cattle and horses. There is no visible trace of such a feature in the ploughed fields surrounding the monument and so this area has not been included in the scheduling. (Scheduling Report)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SK391409