Haddon Hall

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Manor House

There are major building remains

NameHaddon Hall
Alternative NamesHeddon
Historic CountryDerbyshire
Modern AuthorityDerbyshire
1974 AuthorityDerbyshire
Civil ParishNether Haddon

Large double courtyard, fortified manor house. Seat of the Dukes of Rutland and built by the Vernon family. Fragments of C12 works but mainly of two periods with the upper courtyard built mainly in the second quarter of C14 and the lower courtyard built mostly in C15, but also with major refashionings and alterations of C16 and C17 and a major restoration between 1920 and 1930, supervised by Mr Leonard Stanhope, the Clerk of Works. Limestone and gritstone rubble and ashlar gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Leaded roof, mostly hidden by embattled parapets with ridgeback copings, roofs and parapets mostly C20. Numerous stone ridge and side wall stacks, mostly C20, some with crenellated tops, plus massive late C15 exernal stacks to west side of Great Hall and, possibly C14, corbelled out stone stacks to north walls. Two storeys with four storey north-west gatetower, and three storey eastern Peveril Tower and north-east lodgings to upper courtyard. Double courtyard plan on sloping site with upper courtyard to north-east and lower courtyard to south-west. Upper courtyard has Peveril's Tower, the original entrance, and the state bedroom to east range, Long Gallery to south and the present Duke's apartments to north, whilst the lower courtyard has the continuation of the private apartments and the north-west entrance tower to north, offices and lodgings to west and the Chapel and the Earl's Bedroom to south, between the two courtyards the Great Hall and its service rooms. North elevation has late C15 entrance tower to west with C14 kitchen range to east and beyond the Duke's apartments, mostly C17 but much restored. Entrance tower has steps up to moulded, shallow pointed arch with hoodmould and double studded oak doors. To west a slit window and beyond an ornate ashlar, stepped buttress with relief carving to upper part

Above door a blank plaque with hoodmould and 3-light cavetto moulded mullion window with pointed lights and incised spandrels, set in ovolo moulded recess with hoodmould. Above again similar plaque, but decorated with upturned acorns, and similar 3-light window. Similar blank plaque and window over with large coat of arms immediately above, breaking through the moulded stringcourse with gargoyles,on to the parapets. Beyond the C14 stacks to east, a C17 wing with range of recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Attached to west corner of tower, an embattled ashlar wall with four-centred arched doorcase with hoodmould, under large coat of arms of the 'Kings of the Peak', which has to either side a carved frieze of the Vernons family shields. West side of tower has polygonal staircase turret to south corner, corbelled out at first floor level. (PastScape ref. listing description)

Gatehouse Comments

Major refashionings and alterations of C16 and C17 and a major restoration between 1920 and 1930. 'The English castle par excellence' - Pevsner. In 1195 was granted a licence, by his mense lord, John, Count of Mortain (Later King John), to enclose the house with a 12ft uncrenellated wall, possibly this licence (more supportive than permissive) was required because of local jealousies. This very well known house is almost never called a castle (Pevsner is a marked exception) and quite often is not even described as fortified despite clearly being a much more strongly defended house than many a 'true' castle. The later alteration have open it up but in the middle ages it would have been as strongly defended as any house.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK235663
Latitude53.1938018798828
Longitude-1.64967000484467
Eastings423500
Northings366360
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) p. 29
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of the East Midlands (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 20-21
  • Craven, Maxwell and Stanley, Michael, 2001, The Derbyshire Country House (Landmark Publishing) Vol. 1 p. 107-9
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 383
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 50
  • Smith, Michael E., 1992, Castles and Manor Houses in and around Derbyshire (Derby)
  • Merill, J.N., 1988, Halls and Castles of the Peak District and Derbyshire (Matlock: JNM Publications) p. 19-21
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 111
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus revised by Elizabeth Williamson, 1978, Buildings of England: Derbyshire (Harmondsworth) p. 141-45
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 199
  • Thompson, A. Hamilton, 1912, Military Architecture in England during the Middle Ages_ (OUP) p. 340, 342-5 online copy
  • Gotch, J. Alfred, 1909, The Growth of the English House (London: Batsford) p. 47-53
  • Armitage, Ella S., 1905, A key to English antiquites with special reference to the Sheffield and Rotherham district (London: J.M. Dent and Co) p. 116-20 online copy
  • Tilley, J., 1892, Old Halls, Manors and Families of Derbyshire Vol. 1 p. 5-8 online copy
  • Timbs, J. and Gunn, A., 1872, Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales Vol. 3 (London) p. 102-10 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 220-2 online copy
  • Rayner, S., 1836, The History and Antiquities of Haddon Hall Download
  • Lysons, D. and S., 1817, Magna Britannia Vol. 5 Derbyshire p. ccxxxvii-viii and plates online transcription
  • King, Edward, 1782, Sequel to the Observations on Ancient Castles online transcription

Antiquarian

Journals

  • Coulson, C., 1994, 'Freedom to Crenellate by Licence - An Historiographical Revision' Nottingham Medieval Studies Vol. 38 p. 105
  • < >Faulkner, P.A., 1961, 'Haddon Hall and Bolsover Castle' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 118 p. 188-98 online copy < >
  • Faulkner, P.A., 1958, 'Domestic Planning from the Twelfth to the Fourteenth Centuries' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 115 p. 150-83 online copy
  • Hussey, Christopher, 1949, 'Haddon Hall' Country Life p. 1651-6, 1742-6, 1814-18, 1884-8
  • Hope, 1914, The Archaeological Journal Vol. 71 p. 402-3
  • 1901, Country Life Vol. 9 p. 693-705
  • Carrington, W.A., 1900, 'Haddon: the hall, the manor and its lords' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 22 p. 1-29 online copy
  • (Statham), 1889, The Builder Vol. 56 p. 21-5
  • Duesbury, 1852, Journal of the British Architectural Association Vol. 7 p. 284-95
  • King, Edward, 1782, 'Sequel to the observations on Ancient Castles' Archaeologia Vol. 6 p. 346-59

Guide Books

  • Cleary, Bryan, 2009, Haddon Hall, Bakewell Derbyshire, The Home of Lord Edward Manners (Heritage House Group)
  • Anon, n.d. (later than 1990) Haddon Hall Bakewell, Derbyshire (Beric Tempest)
  • Mantell, K.H., 1990, Haddon Hall (Derby: English Life Publications)
  • Mantell, K.H., n.d.(1960's), Haddon Hall (Derby: English Life Publications)
  • Le Blanc-Smith, 1906, Haddon the Manor, etc (London)
  • Cheetham, F.H., 1904, Haddon Hall (London and Manchester)

Primary Sources

  • Historical Manuscripts Commission, 1905, The Manuscripts of his grace the Duke of Rutland Vol. 4 (HMSO) p. 24 No. 19c view online copy