Fenny Bentley Old Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameFenny Bentley Old Hall
Alternative NamesCherry Orchard Farm; Bentley Hall
Historic CountryDerbyshire
Modern AuthorityDerbyshire
1974 AuthorityDerbyshire
Civil ParishFenny Bentley

Cherry Orchard Farm House (Old Hall on Ordnance Survey map), Fenny Bentley, consists of two distinct portions, the late Medieval square tower and the early 17th century range attached to the south. It is constructed of stone with tiled and stone slated roofs and stone stacks. The tower, which has lost its parapet, is of three storeys and retains its stone newel stair. The locally used name and postal address is 'Cherry Orchard Farm'. 'Bentley Old Hall' is generally applied to the tower (i.e. the medieval remains) only. An impressive building with a medieval square tower with small original openings and a later 7-light mullioned and transomed window now partly blocked. There is a 17th century farmhouse attached. The nearby moat (SMR 5604) would seem to have been the site of the hall, and the truncated tower part of a medieval gateway. The whole seems to have undergone several subsequent alterations. The old manor house may have been taken down early in the 17th century. In the later 17th century it was sold to Sir Simon Degge, whose initials and the date 1680 once appeared in the fabric of the present house (Craven and Stanley). (Derbyshire HER)

Pele tower, now farmhouse. Medieval and late C17. Coursed rubble limestone with sandstone dressings. Stone slate and plain tile roofs, stone coped gables with plain kneelers at the south end and stone coped gable at the north end. Stone gable end stacks. Two storeys. Three storey late Medieval tower projecting on the west side. Angle quoins and at the north west corner a large buttress with six set-offs. West elevation with a doorway to the ground floor and a doorway above with chamfered surround and small opening above again. South elevation with a later 2-light chamfered mullion window to the ground floor and a partly blocked 7-light mullioned and transomed window above. The crenellated parapet has been removed. Original stone newel staircase inside. West elevation of the house, three bays with a gable

Central doorway with stone surround and C20 wooden porch. Flanked on the left by a 2-light chamfered mullion window and on the right by a similar 3-light window. Central 3-light mullioned and transomed window above with a similar 2-light window to the left and a similar 3-light window to the right. In the gable above, a similar 2-light mullioned and transomed window. All the windows have C20 diamond leaded lights. Two storey outbuildings attached at the north end. It has been suggested that the tower is the gatehouse of the moated hall which stood nearby. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK176501
Latitude53.0486297607422
Longitude-1.73895001411438
Eastings417600
Northings350180
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Aidan McRae Thomson All Rights Reserved
Copyright Aidan McRae Thomson All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Craven, Maxwell and Stanley, Michael, 2001, The Derbyshire Country House (Landmark Publishing) Vol. 1 p. 99-100
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 379
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 50
  • Craven, M. and Stanley, M., 1982, The Derbyshire Country House Vol. 1 p. 36
  • Hart, C.R., 1981, The North Derbyshire archaeological survey to AD1500 p. 148-150
  • Cox, J.C., 1905, 'Ancient Earthworks' in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Derbyshire Vol. 1 p. 389 online copy