Warcop Tower

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

NameWarcop Tower
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishWarcop

A 17th century house on the site of a medieval fortified manor house with tower. A front was added to the house in 1784. The house is made from rendered rubble and has graduated slate roofs which are steeply pitched over the earlier part of the house. It is two storeys high and has a three bay front. (PastScape)

This at one time was a large building and formed the manor-house. Cyprian Hilton of Burton, who died in 1649, had a son John who married Isabel daughter of John Farer, and a daughter, Mary, who married William Farer, both of Warcop Tower. It is now a farm house. (Curwen 1932)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY744151
Latitude54.531078338623
Longitude-2.39546990394592
Eastings374480
Northings515180
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 92
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 315
  • Hudleston, C.R., Boumphrey, R.S. and Hughes, J., 1978, Cumberland Families and Heraldry (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 23) p. 110
  • Curwen, J.F., 1932, 'Parishes (East Ward): St Colombe, Warcop' The Later Records relating to North Westmorland: or the Barony of Appleby (Kendal: CWAAS Record Series 8) p. 227- online transcription
  • Parson, Wm and White, Wm, 1829, A history, directory, and gazetteer of Cumberland and Westmorland (Leeds) p. 571 online copy
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, B., 1777, The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 605 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Manuscripts of the Reverend Thomas Machell, vicar of Kirkby Thore (d 1698) Vol. 1 p. 111, 234, 322 (preserved at the Cumberland Record Office)

Other

  • Anon, 2006, Warcop Tower, Warcop, Cumbria - Archaeological Evaluation Report. Northern Archaeological Associates (assessment & evaluation reports). online copy
  • Clare, T., 1982, A Report on Medieval Fortified Sites in Cumbria (Cumbria CC)