Ubarrow Hall

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameUbarrow Hall
Alternative NamesYewbarrow Hall; Ubery-hall
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishLongsleddale

Tower House, probably medieval, and attached C17 Farmhouse with later alterations. Tower: rubble walls formed of boulders, crowstepped gable and stone lintels and cills. 2 storeys, previously higher. Entrance at first floor from external stone stair, 2 small windows on ground floor. Interior has vaulted undercroft with stone fireplace and wide chimney; kingpost roof, probably C16; remains of circular stair in East corner. House: roughcast render with slate drip; graduated slate roof, 2 end chimney stacks. 2 storeys. Central stone porch with slate roof and side benches, C19 board door. C20 casements to either side. 2 C19 sashes with single vertical glazing bar above. Interior has exposed beams; beef loft over fireplace; C19 board partitions; old plank doors, court cupboard with enriched panels in kitchen. (Listed Building Report)

Ubarrow Hall (Plate 16), 450 yards S.E. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The pele-tower forming the S.W. part of the house is of late mediæval date, but the existing wing to the N.E. was added or re-built in the 17th century. The tower (32 ft. by 22 ft. externally) is now of two storeys but was formerly higher. It is lit by rectangular windows, some of them probably enlargements from earlier loops. The ground-stage has a plain barrel-vault and the floor above had a circular staircase in the E. angle. The existing roof is of king-post type and probably of the 16th century. The 17th-century wing has some exposed ceiling-beams, a two-stage cupboard of the local type, with pendants and fluted fascia and some panelled doors of the same age.

Condition—Fairly good. (RCHME 1936)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY503025
Latitude54.4166488647461
Longitude-2.76582002639771
Eastings350390
Northings502590
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 368 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 91
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 274 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 493
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 190-1
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth) p. 271
  • Palmer, J.H., 1944, Historic Farmhouses in and around Westmorland (Kendal) p. 124
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 158 no. 4 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 207-8
  • Hodgson, J., 1810, Topographical and Historical Description of Westmoreland p. 210 online copy
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, B., 1777, The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 133 online copy

Journals

  • Collingwood, W.G., 1926, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 26 p. 26 online copy