Temon

Has been described as a Certain Bastle

There are major building remains

NameTemon
Alternative NamesTemmann; Temmon; The Sun
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishUpper Denton

Farmhouse and adjoining outbuilding. Outbuilding is a late C16 bastle house; farmhouse is late C17. Bastle house has thick walls of large squared and coursed calciferous sandstone (probably partly from the Roman Wall) with red sandstone dressings; corrugated asbestos roof. Two storeys, three bays. Ground floor plank door and window have plain C19 surrounds. Round arched cart passage to right, is probably C18. Upper floor loft entrance is C19; three original windows with chamfered surrounds (iron grille recently removed). Rear wall has a filled later entrance to ground floor; two original windows above have chamfered surrounds and 3rd later window over archway left has iron bars. Stone water spout to left of central window and probable gun loop to right. Interior has upper floor fireplace. (Listed Building Report)

The bastle is now a barn. At some time it was used as a carters' inn called 'The Sun'. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY616638
Latitude54.9674110412598
Longitude-2.60010004043579
Eastings361680
Northings563810
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Copyright Mike Quinn and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.
Copyright Mike Quinn and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 173 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 103 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 96
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 82
  • Ramm, H.G., McDowall, R.W. and Mercer, E., 1970, Shielings and Bastles (London: HMSO) p. 79 no. 18 (plan)
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth) p. 121
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 409

Primary Sources

  • Scott, W., 1817, The Border Antiquities of England and Scotland Appendix III p. lxxix online copy
  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.), 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16) (not in the Field Book, but shown on the map)