Tebay Greenholme

Has been described as a Questionable Timber Castle (Motte)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameTebay Greenholme
Alternative NamesCastle Howe, Lower Greenholme
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishTebay

Alleged earthwork remains of a motte and bailey castle. Now interpreted as probable natural features. (PastScape)

Castle Howe, earthwork at Lower Greenhowe nearly 1¼ m. N.W. of the modern church, has been supposed to represent a second castle. All that now remains is a scarp towards the river Lune on the N. and also continued along the W. side of the site. There are no remains of a mound or of any defensive work on the E. and S. (RCHME 1936)

There is now no evidence of a motte and bailey here, although the tradition of 'Castle Howe' persists. The site consists of a spur of ground which rises gradually from the east and terminates to the north and west in steep natural slopes, which presumably have been assumed to be the remains of a bailey similar to Old Tebay (NY 60 NW 4). The whole is under pasture (Field Investigators Comments–F1 BHP 01-APR-74). (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

Its clear that the site has always been questioned but it should be noted that it is a site near to a crossing of Bretherdale Beck by what would have been the main road (although it is now a minor country lane) so the location might be that of a toll point although it is also suggested as an outpost to Castle Howe. On balance Gatehouse considers this an unlikely castle site.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY600053
Latitude54.4417114257813
Longitude-2.6173300743103
Eastings360060
Northings505320
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Grimsditch, Brian, Nevell, Michael and Nevell, Richard, 2012, Buckton Castle and the Castles of the North West England (University of Salford Archaeological Monograph 2) p. 113
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 90
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 279
  • Jackson, M.J.,1990, Castles of Cumbria (Carlisle: Carel Press) p. 90
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 495 (possible)
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 225 No. 2 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 29
  • Whellan, W., 1860, The History and Topography of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmorland (Pontefract) p. 765 online copy
  • Hodgson, J., 1810, Topographical and Historical Description of Westmoreland p. 150 online copy
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, B., 1777, The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 493 online copy

Other

  • Clare, T., 1982, A Report on Medieval Fortified Sites in Cumbria (Cumbria CC)