Sockbridge Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

NameSockbridge Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishSockbridge And Tirril

Sockbridge Hall (Plate 17), house and outbuildings, at the N.E. end of the hamlet. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble, partly ashlar-faced, and the roofs are slate-covered. It formerly belonged to the family of Lancaster and passed to the Lowthers early in the 17th century. The main block seems to have been largely if not entirely re-built in the middle or second half of the 16th century. At the end of the same century the E. wing was added and in the 17th century a small wing was added on the E. side of the main block and partly on the site of a small original wing. A pele-tower, formerly existing to the E. of the main block, was destroyed c. 1830 and the materials are said to have been re-used in one of the lodges of Lowther Park. The main block retains a number of 16th-century stone windows with moulded labels; some of these are of three square-headed and transomed lights; one on the E. side, now blocked, is of three lights with four-centred heads while the window below has elliptical-headed lights; a doorway on this side has a triangular arch in a square head. (RCHME 1936)

In a settlement of dispute between Roger de Lancaster, the mesne lord, and Christiana, widow of Gilbert de Lancaster, underlord of Sockbridge, made in the year 1279, Roger granted to Christiana common of pasture for herself and her heirs dwelling in Sokebred for stock of every kind the whole year through. Her grandson, another Gilbert, gave to his son Christopher, "a house and land" in Sockbridge. It is probable that the pele tower was built about 1375. The western wing, 67 feet in length, was added in the middle of the 16th century, and later, say in 1575, the southern wing was added, forming a quadrangle. In 1830 the tower was pulled down and the materials used for building Buckham Lodge in Lowther Park

(Curwen 1932)

Farmhouse and attached outbuilding. The house probably dates from the mid to late 16th century, with extensions of 17th and 18th century date. Documentary evidence indicates that work was carried out on the building between 1660-1710. The outbuilding attached to the south east angle of the house originated as a gatehouse and dates from the late 16th century. A 14th century pele tower, which formerly stood to the east of the main block, was demolished circa 1830. Both buildings are of stone, with slate roofs. (PastScape)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY503269
Latitude54.6359596252441
Longitude-2.77041006088257
Eastings350300
Northings526990
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 308
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 99 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 495
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 176-7
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 214 no. 1 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1932, 'Parishes (West Ward): St Michael, Barton' The Later Records relating to North Westmorland: or the Barony of Appleby p. 256-77 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 317, 433
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 64-8 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Manuscripts of the Reverend Thomas Machell, vicar of Kirkby Thore (d 1698) Vol. 1 p. 725 (preserved at the Cumberland Record Office)

Journals

  • Tyson, B., 1983, 'Building Work at Sockbridge Hall, its Farmyard and Neighbourhood, 1660-1710' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 83 p. 107-124 online copy
  • Brunskill, R.W., 1957, 'The Development of the large house in the Eden Valley 1350-1840' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 57 p. 82 online copy
  • Brunskill, 1956, 'Proceedings' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 56 p. 164 online copy
  • Ragg, F.W., 1910, 'De Lancaster' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 10 p. 403, 406, 431, 452 online copy
  • Taylor, M.W., 1876, 'An Account of Sockbridge Hall, and of Askham Hall, Westmorland' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 2 p. 31-7 online copy

Other

  • Clare, T., 1982, A Report on Medieval Fortified Sites in Cumbria (Cumbria CC)