Smardale Hall Pele

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameSmardale Hall Pele
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishWaitby

Smardale Hall (Plate 18), on the W. side of the parish, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The house belonged to the families of Smardale and Warcop in the Middle Ages and passed from the latter to the family of Dalston late in the 16th century. The house seems to have been re-built about this date on an unusual long rectangular plan (86 ft. by 27 ft.) with round towers at the angles. A later wing has been added to the E. of the S. end and the building was restored late in the last century. The angle-towers have a slight batter; they have single-light windows and conical roofs. The N. end retains its two original four-light transomed windows with moulded labels. The two corresponding windows in the S. end have been altered. The windows in the side walls are similar to those in the N. end but the majority of them have been wholly or partly renewed; in the E. wall is an original doorway with a triangular arch in a square head; above it is set a carved boss with foliage, perhaps of the 14th century. Inside the building, the S.E. tower contains a stone staircase and there was formerly a second staircase in the N.W. tower. The kitchen has a wide fireplace with a segmental arch; it is partly filled in. (RCHME 1936)

A hall house which dates from the 15th and 16th centuries. The present hall house is of coursed rubble and has a tower at each corner. It has a graduated slate roof with stone chimneys. It is two storeys high with six bays. An attached range of farm buildings once formed the south range to the hall's original courtyard plan. These buildings have slobbered rubble walls with graduated slate roofs and are two storeys high

There was formerly a 14th century tower house since largely demolished, now represented by a newel at the south-east corner of the present house. Earthworks may mark the site of the Mediaeval house adjacent to that. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

PastScape places the former tower as at the south east point of the modern turreted house. Perriam and Robinson write that 'Machell shows a C14 century towerhouse in the E wing' - the plan shows the tower in a, now lost, east range. The Machell plan shows a courtyard house with ranges of buildings on three side and a wall with gate on the north side. The surviving buildings are the west and south range. The current east range seems to be on a slightly different alignment (and possibly a bit further east) from the medieval east range which contained the tower. The adjacent earthworks have been identified as a possible motte.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY739080
Latitude54.4675407409668
Longitude-2.40378999710083
Eastings373920
Northings508090
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 306-7 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 90
  • Jackson, M.J.,1990, Castles of Cumbria (Carlisle: Carel Press) p. 89
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth) p. 266
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 233 no. 1 plan [online transcription > http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120829]
  • Curwen, J.F., 1932, 'Parishes (East Ward): St John, Kirkby Stephen' The Later Records relating to North Westmorland: or the Barony of Appleby (Kendal: CWAAS Record Series 8) p. 131 online transcription
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, The Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 338 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Manuscripts of the Reverend Thomas Machell, vicar of Kirkby Thore (d 1698) Vol. 3 p. 225 (preserved at the Cumberland Record Office)
  • Sandford, E. C. 1675, in R.S. Ferguson (ed), 1890, A Cursory Relation of the all the Antiquities and Familyes in Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Tract Series 4) p. 29 online copy

Journals

  • Brunskill, 1964, 'Proceedings' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 64 p. 409 online copy
  • Brunskill, R.W., 1957, 'The Development of the large house in the Eden Valley 1350-1840' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 57 p. 82 online copy
  • Spence, 1947, 'Proceedings' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 47 p. 202-4 online copy
  • 1887-8, Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 9 p. 393- online copy