Newton Reigny Manor

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are earthwork remains

NameNewton Reigny Manor
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishCatterlen

Despite infilling of part of the moat's northern arm, the moated site east of Newton Reigny survives reasonably well and remains largely unencumbered by modern development. Limited excavation by Anderson during the 1960's located structural remains, and the monument will retain further evidence for the building which originally occupied the island.

The monument includes a medieval moated site located in fields a short distance to the east of Newton Reigny. It includes an island or enclosure surrounded by a shallow moat which is now largely dry apart from one side where a small stream forms its eastern arm. The island is trapezoidal in shape and measures between 150m-170m north-south by 74m-90m east-west. On the southern and much of its eastern edge there is an inner bank measuring up to 6m wide and 1m high. The surrounding moat varies in size, measuring between 1.5m wide and 0.2m deep on the south and much of the west sides to 7m wide and 0.3m deep on the north side. Access onto the island is through an entrance on the western side where there are faint traces of a causeway across the moat. Limited excavation by Anderson during the 1960's located a flagged floor and a cobble-lined posthole which the excavator interpreted as evidence of the 'hall' which would have occupied the island. (Scheduling Report)

Ramparted enclosure 170 yds. east of Newton Reigny Church. Scheduled.

A sub-rectangular enclosure in a non-defensive position, overlain by rig and furrow. It is reduced now almost to a simple platform but was probably originally a bank with continuous outer ditch. Mr. Hogg (Curator of Carlisle Museum) stated that there is no documentation of the site nor official classification, but it is believed to be of Dark Ages origin (F1 FRH 13-DEC-66). (PastScape)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY481315
Latitude54.6766014099121
Longitude-2.80574011802673
Eastings348140
Northings531580
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 213
  • Hutchinson, Wm., 1794, The history of the county of Cumberland Vol. 1 p. 345-6 (parish history) view online copy

Journals

  • Spence, J.E., 1940, 'Report of Committtee for Prehistoric Studies' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 40 p. 115 online copy
  • Collingwood, W.G., 1923, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Cumberland' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 23 p. 227 (listed as earthwork) online copy