Naworth Castle

Has been described as a Certain Masonry Castle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameNaworth Castle
Alternative NamesNaward
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBrampton

Castle and seat of the Earls of Carlisle. Probably late C13, first mentioned in 1323 (V.C.H. Cumberland p. 255), licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602 (date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844. Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney stacks. Formerly: tower house (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all altered c1520 and 1602; Morpeth Tower added to hall, 1845; C18 & C19 west and south range with Stanley Tower of 1881. East range living quarters of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has flanking 3 storey, one bay towers, with battlemented parapets to each. Small square headed mullioned windows with square leaded panes: large and small round headed mullioned windows to courtyard, have diamond leaded panes. South curtain wall has large C16 pointed arch, with recessed chamfered surround and large iron studded gates, giving access to large open courtyard; arms of Lord William Howard above. North range has external but engaged, Morpeth Tower of 2 storeys, 2 bays: hall of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has raised courtyard entrance, with carved stone panel of Dacre arms above. Square 2-light and round headed 3-light mullioned windows have diamond leaded panes. Battlemented parapet and 1982 slate roof, replacing 1845 lead (grant aided by Historic Buildings Council). West range, 3 storeys, 6 bays, is of similar details, formerly kitchens and servants' quarters, now let as flats. Interior has wood panelled library and other panelled rooms by C.J

Ferguson, with painted gesso overmantel panel of The Battle of Flodden by Burne-Jones and Sir E. Boehm, 1882. Hall gutted by fire 1844, but retains large C16 fireplace with segmental head: wooden hammer beam roof by Salvin 1845. Lord William Howard's tower is supported on ribbed arches crossing the angle of the north-east walls. Lord William's chamber has timber ceiling, c1350, from Kirkoswald Castle, with moulded beams and bosses and panels filled with flowing tracery. (Listed Building Report)

Built 1335. A square keep (Dacre Tower) projects at the south-west corner of a trapezoidal bailey. Residential and service quarters, rebuilt in the 16th century and much modernised, are ranged against the curtain round a central courtyard. A turret rising above the battlements at one corner of the keep served the purpose of both watch-tower and beacon. (PastScape ref. Toy 1953)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY559625
Latitude54.9560813903809
Longitude-2.68903994560242
Eastings355980
Northings562590
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Grimsditch, Brian, Nevell, Michael and Nevell, Richard, 2012, Buckton Castle and the Castles of the North West England (University of Salford Archaeological Monograph 2) p. 110-111
  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) p. 261, 366, 408, 473
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 166-7 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 76-7
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 233, 263
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 45
  • Cope, Jean, 1991, Castles in Cumbria (Cicerone Press) p. 101-3
  • Jackson, M.J.,1990, Castles of Cumbria (Carlisle: Carel Press) p. 75-7 (plan)
  • Brown, R.Allen, 1989, Castles from the Air (Cambridge University Press) p. 161-2
  • Furtado, Peter et al (eds), 1988, Ordnance Survey guide to castles in Britain (London) p. 172
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 89
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 263
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 141-6
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 167-8
  • Churchill, R., 1954, Fifteen Famous English Homes p. 39-47
  • Toy, Sidney, 1953, The Castles of Great Britain (Heinemann) p. 206
  • Hugill, R.,1939, Borderland Castles and Peles (1970 Reprint by Frank Graham) p. 165-70
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 188, 213-8, 503
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Wilson, James, 1905, VCH Cumberland Vol. 2 p. 255n1
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 2 p. 323-7 online copy
  • Ornsby, G. (ed), 1877, Selections from the Household Books of the Lord William Howard of Naworth Castle, 1612-40 (Surtees Society 68) p. lxiv-lxxiii online copy
  • Timbs, J. and Gunn, A., 1872, Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales Vol. 3 (London) p. 316-26 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 411 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1853, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 2 p. 211 online copy
  • Gibson, W.S., 1854, Northumbrian Castles, Churches and Antiquities Part 3 p. 1-42 online copy
  • Jefferson, S., 1838, History and Antiquities of Carlisle p. 339-71 online copy
  • Lysons, Daniel and Samuel, 1816, 'Antiquities: Castles' Magna Britannia Vol. 4: Cumberland p. cciv-v (plan), 32-3 online transcription
  • Buck, Samuel and Nathaniel, 1774, Buck's Antiquities (London) Vol. 1 p. 47
  • Grose, Francis, 1783 (new edn orig 1756), Antiquities of England and Wales (London) Vol. 1 p. 56-61 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Camden, Wm, 1607, Britannia hypertext critical edition by Dana F. Sutton (2004)
  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 97
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1908, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 2 p. 7 online copy; Vol. 5 p. 55 [online copy > http://archive.org/stream/itineraryofjohnl05lelauoft#page/55/mode/1up]

Journals

  • Nevell, Richard, 2012-13, 'Castle gatehouses in North West England' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 26 p. 258-81 online copy
  • King, Andy, 2007, 'Fortress and fashion statements: gentry castles in fourteenth-century Northumberland' Journal of Medieval History Vol. 33 p. 388 (slight)
  • Worsley, G., 1987, 'Naworth Castle, Cumberland – I' Country Life 181.7 p. 74-9, 88-91
  • Donaldson-Hudson, R., 1956-8, 'Naworth Castle' History of the Berwickshire Naturalist Club Vol. 34 p. 221-31 online copy
  • P.A.B., 1911 March 25, Country Life Vol. 29 p. 414-22
  • Ferguson, C.J., 1878-9, 'Naworth Castle' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 4 p. 486-95 online copy
  • W.D., 1873, The Antiquary Vol. 3 p. 269-71

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1895, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1334-38) Vol. 3 p. 168 online copy
  • Rickard, John, 2002, The Castle Community. The Personnel of English and Welsh Castles, 1272-1422 (Boydell Press) (lists sources for 1272-1422) p. 157
  • Green, M.A.E.(ed), 1872, Calendar of State Papers Domestic: Elizabeth, Addenda 1580-1625 p. 17-18 no. 44 (Reference for for Dacre's 1580 survey of the West March) online copy
  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.). 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16)

Other

  • Historic England, 2015, Heritage at Risk North West Register 2015 (London: Historic England) p. 15 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2014, Heritage at Risk Register 2014 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 16 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2013, Heritage at Risk Register 2013 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 15 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2012, Heritage at Risk Register 2012 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 30 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 29 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2010, Heritage at Risk Register 2010 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 27 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2009, Heritage at Risk Register 2009 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 35 online copy