Lowick Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are uncertain remains

NameLowick Hall
Alternative NamesTower of de Lofwic
Historic CountryLancashire
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishLowick

House. South wing C16 or C17 originally pele tower, one of 2; rest of house mid C18, rainwater head dated 1746; C19 porch. East elevation of 2 storeys and 5-bays, with 3-storey gabled bay to south, forming south wing. Top frieze, cornice and blacking course, stone rainwater head and downpipe; decorative bargeboards to wing. Windows have architraves and are sashed with horns; wing has 4-light chamfered-wooden-mullioned windows, with 3-light window to 2nd floor. Entrance to 4th bay has ashlar porch with paired half-glazed doors, side windows, dentilled cornice and parapet; inner 12-panel door in C18 doorcase. 3 gable-end stacks. Site of demolished pele tower to north. South elevation has varied fenestration including some mullioned windows. Large cross-axial stack with rounded shaft. North elevation has sashed windows with glazing bars to rear wing, those to 1st floor are original, with ovolo glazing bars; lateral stack. Rear has 3 gabled bays the 1st 2 projecting. Sashed windows with glazing bars, round-headed stair window has pilasters and archivolt; 3rd bay has 2-light window with leaded glazing. Entrance to 2nd bay. 2 gable-end stacks and return lateral stack. Interior: South wing has stop-chamfered beams; ground floor fireplace with inset fireplace and oven, and priest hole. Doorway with chamfered frame and spiral stair of oak baulks. 1st floor has 2 triangular-headed doorways, wide-boarded doors. Main house has doors of 6 and 2 fielded panels; fireplace with panelled pilasters and lintel with shell motif to key; open-string dog-leg stair has 2 column an vase balusters to the tread and scrolly tread ends; fielded-panel dado. 1st floor has doorways with eared architraves and pulvinated frieze and pediment; fielded panelled partitions with dado and dentilled cornice; cupboard has glazed doors, swan-neck pediment and Everard Crest

(Listed Building Report)

"The greater part of the sculpture which once ornamented the ancient but dilapidated manor-house (of Lowick) has been destroyed or removed" (Baines 1835).

"Lowick Hall was partly burnt down in 1750, only the south wing remaining. The centre portion was rebuilt on old foundations which can still be seen at the foot of the north wall. The porch was added about 1900, covering up a fine Georgian entrance. In the south wing is a large fireplace, with beside it, a Priest's Hole".

The south wing is a two-storey structure with a pebble-dash exterior and modern roof. Internally the bare stonework of the walls, which are constructed of roughly fashioned angular stones packed with rubble, would suggest them to be of considerable age (F1 ASP 29-JUL-57).

According to the SMR record, there may be the foundations of two towers in the garden. Janet Martin notes that if the newel is indicative of a pele, the pele is in a veryy position (Perriam and Robinson). (PastScape)

Lowick Hall was partly burnt down in 1750, only the S wing remaining. The centre portion was rebuilt on old foundations which are still visible in the garden and at the foot of the N wall. The present house is 17th century, 1750 and 1849. Of roughcaststone, slate roofs, T-plan. Entrance front of 2 storeys has 19th century central porch of sandstone covering a Georgian stone doorway; 4 sash windows on ground floor and 5 above with moulded sandstone architraves; stone cornice; Georgian stone drainpipe. Round-headed staircase window on gable end. 17th century portion at right angles to left of front, 2 storeys, slate roof, central round chimney, mullionedwindows, etc. Interior has original fireplace, priest hole in chimney.

According to owner the foundations of one of the two original towers is under some flowerbeds. ~ The site was visited by E. Thomson in 1978. (Lake District National Park HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Manor site dating back at least to time of Henry II. Report of 'a very ancient circular staircase in one part of the building which seems to have been a pele tower.' Current building has undergone several rebuilds. Listed Building record reports 'Site of demolished pele tower to north.'

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD285859
Latitude54.2642097473145
Longitude-3.09799003601074
Eastings328580
Northings485950
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 387
  • Baines, E., 1836, History of the County Palatine and Duchy of Lancaster (London: Fisher, Son, and Jackson) Vol. 4 p. 687
  • West, T., 1805, Antiquites of Furness (Ulverston) p. 263- online copy

Journals

  • Collingwood, W.G., 1926, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 26 p. 41 online copy
  • 1910, 'Proceedings' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 10 p. 499-500 online copy