Little Strickland Low Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

NameLittle Strickland Low Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishLittle Strickland

C16 and C17 Hall. It is suggested that the South wing is sited on an earlier tower house, two towers having been listed there in 1675. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

Low Hall (Plate 17), house and outbuilding 100 yards S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It is said to have been built by a member of the Crackanthorpe family and dates from the second half of the 16th century. The S. wing was added perhaps early in the 17th century; the N. wing is a rather later addition.

The plaster-work is noteworthy and well preserved. (RCHME 1936)

Some historical texts describe the site as having a 9 feet curtain wall, ... The hall was most likely built for the Crackenthorpe family, some time around 1540. (M. Emmott, 2008)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY563197
Latitude54.5707206726074
Longitude-2.67651009559631
Eastings356360
Northings519710
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 288-9 (plan)
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 222 no. 2 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1932, 'Parishes (West Ward): St Laurence, Morland' The Later Records relating to North Westmorland: or the Barony of Appleby (Kendal: CWAAS Record Series 8) p. 335-7 online transcription
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 99-102 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Manuscripts of the Reverend Thomas Machell, vicar of Kirkby Thore (d 1698) Vol. 2 p. 505 (preserved at the Cumberland Record Office)

Journals

  • Scott, D., 1912, 'Little Strickland Hall and its Owners' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 12 p. 113-19 online copy