Kirkandrews Tower

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameKirkandrews Tower
Alternative NamesKirkandrews upon Esk; Tom Greme; Kirkander; Kirkanders
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishKirkandrews

House, formerly tower house. C16 replacing earlier tower, for the Graham family, with C18 and C20 alterations. Thick red sandstone rubble walls on chamfered plinth with large flush quoins, corbelled parapets with projecting water spouts; steeply pitched gabled slate roof with parapet, end stone chimney stacks. 3 storeys, 2 bays. C20 first floor door in roll moulded architrave, reached by C19 external stone steps; entrance to basement below has plank door and similar architrave. Small original window to left of entrance; 2 similar windows on 2 levels above have been blocked. Partly blocked C18 openings, on 3 levels to left, with C20 casements. Rear wall has large C18 blocked window; C19 window to left, other windows are C20. Interior has vaulted basement originally reached by trap door from first floor. Newel staircase in thickness of wall beside entrance. (Listed Building Report)

House, formerly tower house. C16 replacing earlier tower, for the Graham family, with C18 and C20 alterations. Thick red sandstone rubble walls on chamfered plinth with large flush quoins, corbelled parapets with projecting water spouts; steeply pitched gabled slate roof with parapet, end stone chimney stacks. 3 storeys, 2 bays. C20 first floor door in roll moulded architrave, reached by C19 external stone steps; entrance to basement below has plank door and similar architrave. Small original window to left of entrance; 2 similar windows on 2 levels above have been blocked. Partly blocked C18 openings, on 3 levels to left, with C20 casements. Rear wall has large C18 blocked window; C19 window to left, other windows are C20. Interior has vaulted basement originally reached by trap door from first floor. Newel staircase in thickness of wall beside entrance. (PastScape ref. Field Investigators Comments F1 RD 16-JUL-70)

Gatehouse Comments

Isolated tower of about 1530-50 with Scottish features. Some remains of Barmkin wall. Still inhabited. Marked on 1552 map as 'Tom Greme', on 1590 map as 'Kirkander' and on 1607 platt as 'Kirkanders'.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY389719
Latitude55.0381202697754
Longitude-2.95735001564026
Eastings338914
Northings571928
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Emma All Rights Reserved
Copyright Emma All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 232 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 67
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 43
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 87
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 110-12
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 147
  • Hugill, R.,1939, Borderland Castles and Peles (1970 Reprint by Frank Graham) p. 141-2
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 380-2
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 352 online copy
  • Jeffrey, A., 1864, History and Antiquities of Roxburghshire Vol. 4 p. 232 (facsimile of map) online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 207 online copy

Journals

  • Dixon, P., 1979, 'Towerhouses, Pelehouses and Border Society' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 136 p. 247
  • Graham, T.H.B., 1914, 'The Debatable Land Part II' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 14 facing p. 148 online copy [online copy of 1607 platt > http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/maps/m067.htm] [online copy of 1552 map > http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/maps/m068.htm]

Primary Sources

  • 1552, the Debatable Land, Cumberland and Scotland, with lines of proposed divisions online copy (Tom greme)
  • 1590, A Platt of the opposete Borders of Scotland to ye west marches of England (The Aglionby Platt) British Library online Gallery and [Old Cumbria Gazetteer > http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/webmap/thelakes/html/maps/m048.htm]
  • 1607, Platt of the Forrest of Nicholl and the Mannor of Liddale, Arthurett and Randelinton with the Debatable groundes online copy (Kirknanders)

Other

  • Cole, J.R., 1982, A survey of the Debatable Land and Glen Tarras c. 1449-1620 (Thesis for Manchester University)