Killington Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameKillington Hall
Alternative NamesKillaton
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishKillington

Early 15th century tower of the Pickerings with domestic buildings of circa 1640. Originally surrounded by a moat. Hall altered circa 1640 when a crosswing was demolished. Altered 1803. Site of domestic chapel. (PastScape–ref. Perriam and Robinson)

C15 with alterations and additions of 1640 and 1803. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Peel tower to south end is in ruin. ower partially collapsed. Interior of tower has no floor or roof. Small inserted outhouse, blocked fireplace and corbells to north side. (Listed Building Report)

Killington Hall (Plate 117), N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It belonged in the later Middle Ages to the family of Pickering. The house was built in the 15th century, probably on the normal plan of a hall-block and cross-wings at the ends. The S. cross-wing survives in a ruined state but the hallblock was much altered and heightened in 1640. The N. cross-wing no longer exists. Further alterations were made to the house in 1803. The E. front of the main block has a projecting bay towards the S. end; both this and the bay containing the entrance are carried up as gabled dormers. The upper windows are of c. 1640 and of two, three and four square-headed lights with stone mullions and labels; the lower windows have been altered; above one of them is a panel with the initials T.K. for Thomas Kitson and a shield of his arms. In the gable of the N. dormer is a panel with the initials and date T.K., L.K. 1640, also the further initials R.I. and two fleurs-de-lis. The back wall retains some plain stone windows of 1640 and part of the head of a 15th-century window, otherwise destroyed. The ruined S

wing is of two storeys and was finished with an embattled parapet, of which small portions still remain. Both storeys on the E. side have an original 15th-century window of four and three trefoiled lights respectively, in a square head. There are remains of two similar windows on the S. side of the ground storey; the other windows are plain square-headed openings. The S. wall of the house forms the N. wall of the wing and has traces of the earlier and lower roof of the hall-block. On the gable is a chimney-stack with cylindrical shafts of c. 1640. There are traces of a projection on the W. wall which may represent a former garde-robe tower. In the ground-floor room is an original fireplace with chamfered jambs and lintel. Four shaped corbels in the upper storey presumably supported the wall-posts of the roof. Inside the house, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed. There is some 17th-century panelling on both floors.

Condition—Of house, fairly good; of S. wing, ruined and ivy-grown. (RCHME 1936)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD612890
Latitude54.2951812744141
Longitude-2.59608006477356
Eastings361290
Northings489010
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 98 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 351
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 217
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 274 (slight)
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 110
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 131-2 no. 2 plan [online transcription > http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120773]
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 238-40 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 208 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Ewbank, J.M. (ed), 1963, Antiquary on Horseback (CWAAS extra series No. 19) (Thomas Machell's writings) online transcription

Journals

  • 1986, The Sedbergh Historian Vol. 2.2 p. 45
  • Collingwood, W.G., 1926, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 26 p. 33 online copy

Other

  • Clare, T., 1982, A Report on Medieval Fortified Sites in Cumbria (Cumbria CC)