Has been described as a Questionable Pele Tower
There are major building remains
|Alternative Names||Kerfitt Hall, Kirfitt Hall
Kirfit Hall (Plate 16), near the right bank of the river Lune and 350 yards S.W. of Mill Gill, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably early in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and S. The staircase-tower on the W. was added late in the 17th century. The S.E. wing is an 18th-century addition. The original S. wing retains most of its stone windows; they are generally of two lights with transoms. The tower is carried up four storeys and finished with a low pyramidal roof; the windows are generally similar to those in the S. wing. The original E. wing retains some old windows. Inside the building are one or more original partitions of the muntin and plank type. The early to mid 17th-century staircase in the E. wing has heavy turned balusters. The late 17th-century staircase in the tower is of similar but slighter character, with square newels finished with moulded cappings. There are a number of original battened doors.
On the N. and W. sides of the house is a dry ditch with an inner revetment of rubble.
Condition—Good, except the tower and part of the S. wing, which are nearly derelict. (RCHME 1936)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SD617794