Irton Hall

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameIrton Hall
Alternative NamesIreton
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishIrton With Santon

C14 Pele tower, probably for Adam de Yrton, now part of Irton Hall. Granite random rubble with carved sandstone detailing; overhanging embattled parapet (C18 renewal?) carried on cavetto eaves moulding. Hipped, lead roof. 2 storeys, with attic and basement, 2 irregular bays. Assorted fenestration, some original with carved labels and cusped heads, some late C19. Interior has segmentally-vaulted basement and full-height newel stair. (Lake District National Park HER)

Fortified tower-house; C14, probably for Adam de Yrton. Now incorporated into school (empty at time of survey, July 1984). Granite random rubble with carved sandstone detailing; overhanging embattled parapet (C18 renewal?) carried on cavetto eaves moulding. Hipped, lead roof. 2 storeys, with attic and basement, 2 irregular bays. Assorted fenestration, some original with carved labels and cusped heads, some late C19. Interior has segmentally-vaulted basement and full-height newel stair. Main entrance now knocked through from school. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

A large chamber block in the form of a crenelated tower attached to a hall of gentry status.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY105005
Latitude54.3927688598633
Longitude-3.38006997108459
Eastings310500
Northings500500
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Greg Simpson All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 105 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 63
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 42
  • Crawford, G. and George, C., 1983, Archaeological Survey of Copeland (Kendal; W D Biggs) p. 35
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 87
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 100-1
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 143
  • Parker, C.A. (new edn rev. Collingwood, W.G.), 1926, The Gosforth District: Its Antiquities and Places of Interest (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 15) p. 139-51
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 286-7
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 2 p. 318 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Sandford, E. C. 1675, in R.S. Ferguson (ed), 1890, A Cursory Relation of the all the Antiquities and Familyes in Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Tract Series 4) p. 11 online copy

Journals

  • 1989 July 17, Cumbria Life p. 2
  • Borron, J.R.E., 1974, 'Edmund Lamplugh Irton's second marriage and the Irton Hall estate' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 74 p. 212-14 online copy
  • Taylor, S., 1941, 'The Irtons of Irton Hall' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 41 p. 72-122 online copy