Hollin How

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameHollin How
Alternative NamesHollin Hall; Nether Stavely; Crook Hall; Thwatterden-hall
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishCrook

House now divided into 2. C14 Pele Tower at East attached to C16 or early C17 central block with late C17 or early C18 West wing. All with later alterations. Rubble and roughcast rendered walls, slate drips, graduated greenslate roof. 4 massive old circular or oval chimney stacks, one C19 stack with paired round shafts. Tower to East has crowstepped gable. (Listed Building Report)

Hollin How or Hall (Plate 16), in the S. angle of the parish, is of two storeys partly with attics and cellars. The walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The pele-tower at the E. end of the house is probably of 14th or 15th-century date but has no distinctive features; the upper part is gabled, probably a later alteration. The adjoining part of the house was added late in the 16th or early in the 17th century and the W. wing is perhaps a late 17th or early 18th-century addition. The tower has crow-stepped gables and a heavy chimney-stack with a round shaft on the N. The house is covered with rough-cast but a string course is carried along the S. front over the lower windows. Two chimney-stacks have each two conjoined round shafts and a stack on the N. side has a single round shaft. Inside the building, the tower has a barrel-vault to the lower storey and a fireplace in the N. wall with a heavy lintel. The spiral staircase is original and adjoining it is a loop-light. On the upper floor is a second loop and a fireplace with a flat lintel; in the N. wall is a deep recess perhaps for a garde-robe. The house has some exposed ceiling-beams and in the hall is a cupboard of the usual local type, with the initials and date C. and M.D. 1667; it is not, however, a fixture. On the first floor is some early 17th-century panelling refixed. (RCHME 1936)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD465960
Latitude54.3569183349609
Longitude-2.8235399723053
Eastings346550
Northings496020
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 350
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 60
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 274 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 493
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth) p. 242
  • Palmer, J.H., 1944, Historic Farmhouses in and around Westmorland (Kendal) p. 64
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 218 no. 2 plan [online transcription > http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120817]

Antiquarian

  • Hughes, E. (ed), 1962, Fleming-Senhouse Papers (Carlisle: Cumberland Record Series 2) p. 12

Journals

  • Fahy, T.G., 1973, 'The Philipson family: Part II. Philipson of Crook Hall' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 73 p. 226 online copy
  • Fahy, T.G., 1964, 'The Philipsons of Calgarth' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 64 p. 150 online copy
  • Collingwood, W.G., 1926, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 26 p. 26 online copy