Hawkshead Old Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are major building remains

NameHawkshead Old Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryLancashire
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishHawkshead

Mainly of C17 date with medieval origins. It is constructed of roughcast stone with a slate roof. The hall was part of the Cistercian grange at Hawkshead, associated with Furness Abbey, and was originally attached by a south wing to Hawkshead Courthouse. Hawkshead Courthouse was also part of the monastic grange and dates to C13 with C15 remodelling. Altered and restored in 1848 and 1932. It is constructed of stone rubble with ashlar dressings under a slate roof. It was initially used as the 'sessions house' or place where the manorial courts were held; the abbey held the manor of Hawkshead for over three hundred years. It also served as the gatehouse to the grange. Following the dissolution of Furness Abbey in 1537 use of the courthouse as such still continued whilst the lower floors were used as a farm building. (PastScape)

House. Possibly C17 with medieval origins. Roughcast stone and slate roof with swept valleys. 2 storeys, east facade of 3 bays. 1st bay projects under gable; 2nd bay projects slightly under cat slide roof. 1st bay has inset beam to ground floor, above small recess with wooden door; 1st floor has small-paned casement and small return light. 2nd bay has wooden mullioned stair window of 3 lights with transom and leaded glazing. 3rd bay has 4-light wooden chamfered-mullioned window with intermediate bars to 1st floor over lean-to porch. Glazed doors to 1st and 3rd bays. 1st bay has cruciform cross-axial stack; gable end stack with round shaft. Right return has 2 sashed windows with glazing bars and horns to left of projecting chimney breast, entrance to right. Rear of 4 bays; windows have small-paned casements, but 4th bay has 5-light wooden chamfered-mullioned window with intermediate bars. Right return of 2 bays has dripcourses; sashed windows with glazing bars, those to ground floor with slated lintels, those to 1st floor with horns; gable-end stack with round shaft. Interior has stop-chamfered beams

Winding stair has turned balusters and square newels. The hall was part of the monastic grange of Hawkshead, associated with Furness Abbey, and was originally attached by a south wing to Hawskhead Courthouse. A corbel built into the wall of the porch is the original keystone from the courthouse, replaced by a replica. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

Owned by the National Trust and open to the pubic, via a keyholder. In PastScape is recorded as being a scheduled monument in 1953 but appears now to be protected only by grade 2star listing.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD349987
Latitude54.3803405761719
Longitude-3.00346994400024
Eastings334920
Northings498780
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Keith Salvesen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 385
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 209
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1969, Buildings of England: Lancashire, The rural north (Harmondsworth) p.139
  • Farrer, William and Brownbill, J. (eds), 1914, VCH Lancashire Vol. 8 p. 377-9 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 363
  • Cowper, H.S., 1899, Hawkshead: the northernmost parish of Lancashire. Its history, archæology, industries, folklore, dialect, etc. etc. (Nabu Press)
  • West, T., 1805, Antiquites of Furness (Ulverston) p. 32 online copy

Journals

  • 1934, 'Proceedings' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 34 p. 202-3 online copy
  • Collingwood, W.G., 1926, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 26 p. 42 online copy
  • Parker, R., 1915, 'Addenda Antiquaria- Hawkshead Hall; the Restoration of the Court-house Window' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 15 p. 201 online copy
  • Cowper, H.Swainson, 1890, 'Hawkshead Hall' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 11 p. 7-49 online copy