Hartsop Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are masonry footings remains

NameHartsop Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishPatterdale

A typical larger Lakeland farmhouse in a typically magnificent setting. The main part of the house was built in the 16th century, a west wing was added in the 17th century and a south wing was added in the 18th century. It is made from stone and slate rubble and has a flag roof. It possibly originated as a tower house based on the vaulted cellar and newel. (PastScape)

Hartsop Hall, about 2½ m. S. of the church, was built probably in the 16th century and has a 17th-century extension on the W. and an 18th-century wing on the S. The N. and S. walls retain original windows with rounded heads to the lights; one window in the S. wall has a moulded label; a doorway in the S. wall, now opening into the wing, has a four-centred head. Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams. The 17th-century staircase has turned balusters and square newels with moulded terminals. Part of the original king-post roof remains. (RCHME 1936)

Farm Buildings attached to Hartsop Hall. I 2. Typical larger Lakeland farmhouse in typically magnificent setting. Original C16 house faced north to Brothers Water, a west wing added C17, and a south wing in C18. All stone and slate rubble with flag roof, 2 storeys. Entrance front faces south and farmyard, and has 16-paned sashes, and an entrance under a catslide roof extending from the barn which is open and rests on 2 round piers, forming a porch/cartshed. The south end of the south wing is on a lower level but has same roof, 4 sashes. The rear of the older wing has a large stepped chimney, and a 3-light window on each floor - each light round-headed with stone mullions, and the walls are of cearser rubble with more mortar. The north front is white-washed and partly cemented, with steep roof, stone doorway with moulded lintel, 3 windows on ground floor and 4 above, of one, two and three lights, all lights round-headed. Interior said to have C16 moulded beams and part of king-post roof, and C17 staircase

(Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

The suggestion that this may have been a pele tower originally comes from Perriam and Robinson but no other author seems to think this and the date of the house seems a bit late for such a suggestion.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY398120
Latitude54.5000190734863
Longitude-2.93031001091003
Eastings339850
Northings512020
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 281
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 191 no. 46 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1932, 'Parishes (West Ward): St Michael, Barton' The Later Records relating to North Westmorland: or the Barony of Appleby p. 256-77 online transcription
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 74-76 online copy
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, B., 1777, The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 408 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Manuscripts of the Reverend Thomas Machell, vicar of Kirkby Thore (d 1698) Vol. 1 (preserved at the Cumberland Record Office) p. 725

Other

  • Clare, T., 1982, A Report on Medieval Fortified Sites in Cumbria (Cumbria CC)