Great Salkeld Church of St Cuthbert

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are major building remains

NameGreat Salkeld Church of St Cuthbert
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishGreat Salkeld

Parish church with fortified tower. Late C11 with c.1380 tower; c.1480 and 1674 alterations; 1866 and 1879 restorations. Large blocks of red sandstone, the walls of the tower extremely thick; both tower and chancel with chamfered plinths. Graduated sandstone slate roof with coped gable, kneelers and cross finial. 3-storey square west tower; 5-bay nave with south porch; 2-bay chancel. Tower has small chamfered loops on each face at various levels, the upper west one with cusped head. Clock face on south wall and projecting angle stair turret, all under battlemented parapet with angle spouts. Nave has 1750 porch covering original heavily-carved C11 doorway of 3 orders of zigzag arches, some with carved heads. Roman altar from Old Penrith and fragments of medieval graveslabs in porch. South C19 windows. Blocked north doorway and C19 windows, but an upper C15 window. Walls of nave raised in C15. Chancel has round-headed priest's doorway, rood-light C15 window and other 2-light windows. 3-light east window looks C17. Interior of tower has vaulted basement. 2 window splays have lintels made of 3 medieval graveslabs. Iron-bound 'yett' gate complete with drawbars. Upper-floor fireplace has reused medieval graveslab to an Inglewood forester c.1290. Nave has late medieval timber roof. One window has its internal medieval splay. C19 and C20 Stained glass, one a memorial to Bishop Nicholson, who was vicar here. White marble wall plaques, one to Bishop Bowstead of Lichfield, born in Great Salkeld in 1801. Wall-mounted C17 armour. Earlier roofline can be seen in west wall. Chancel has effigy moved from nave to Thomas de Caldbec, Rector 1319. Medieval graveslab built into floor and another slate slab of 1490 to Stephen Close, Rector (brass inscription now illegible). (Listed Building Report)

The peel is in good condition and abuts the west side of the church. It measures 8.0m by 7.0m externally with walls 1.6m thick

The ground floor room is barrel vaulted with a doorway containing two bar holes. (PastScape ref. Field Investigators Comments F1 BHP 27-JUL-72)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY551367
Latitude54.7238311767578
Longitude-2.69771003723145
Eastings355170
Northings536770
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Harrison, Peter, 2004, Castles of God (Woodbridge; Boydell Press) p. 68 n1
  • Brooke, C.J., 2000, Safe Sanctuaries (Edinburgh; John Donald) p. 10-11, 282, 288, 308, 310, 315-9, 331, 360-2, 367
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 203 (plan)
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 41
  • Cope, Jean, 1991, Castles in Cumbria (Cicerone Press) p. 104-5
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 97
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 88-9
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 131
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 177, 326-7
  • Lysons, Daniel and Samuel, 1816, 'Antiquities: Ancient church architecture' Magna Britannia Vol. 4: Cumberland p. cxci-ii and plates online transcription

Journals

  • Collingwood, W.G., 1923, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Cumberland' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 23 p. 224 online copy
  • Cory, J.A., 1875, 'Notices of certain remarkable Fortified Churches existing in Cumberland' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 2 p. 46-56 online copy (reprint of 1859 article)
  • Cory, J.A., 1859, 'Notices of certain remarkable fortified Churches in Cumberland' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 16 p. 318-25 online copy

Other

  • English Heritage, 2013, Heritage at Risk Register 2013 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 23 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2012, Heritage at Risk Register 2012 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 37 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 North West (London: English Heritage) p. 34 online copy
  • Kelland, C.H., 1982, Ecclesiae Incastellatae: A Documentary and Architectural Study of the Concept of 'Fortified Churches' in England and Wales (M.Phil. Thesis, 2 vols, University College, University of London) p. 196, 198