Godmond Hall, Strickland Roger

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameGodmond Hall, Strickland Roger
Alternative NamesGodmund; Goodmond
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishStrickland Roger

Godmond Hall, nearly 1½ m. N.W. of Burneside Hall, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. At the E. end of the house are remains of a square pele-tower, probably of mediæval date. The house was added probably late in the 17th century. The tower is of two storeys and is now gabled from N. to S. In the E. wall is a small original light. The N. front of the house is symmetrically designed and retains some late 17th or early 18th-century windows with solid frames. Inside the building is a late 17th-century staircase, with turned balusters and square newels.

Condition—Good. (RCHME 1936)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD499978
Latitude54.3736610412598
Longitude-2.77171993255615
Eastings349970
Northings497840
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 341
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 54
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 274 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 494
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 87-8
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth) p. 237 (slight)
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 224 no. 2 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 370
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Whellan, W., 1860, The History and Topography of the Counties of Cumberland and Westmorland (Pontefract) p. 873 online copy
  • 1813, The Beauties of England and Wales, Or, Delineations topographical, historical and descriptive (London: Longman and co) Vol. 14 p. 209 online copy
  • Hodgson, J., 1810, Topographical and Historical Description of Westmoreland p. 209 online copy

Journals

  • Collingwood, W.G., 1926, 'An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Westmorland and Lancashire North-of-the-Sands' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 26 p. 26 online copy

Other

  • Clare, T., 1982, A Report on Medieval Fortified Sites in Cumbria (Cumbria CC)