Drumburgh Castle

Has been described as a Certain Tower House, and also as a Certain Bastle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameDrumburgh Castle
Alternative NamesDrombogh; Drumbewgh
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBowness

Tower House, now farmhouse. C13, licence to crenellate granted to Robert le Brun 24 August 1307. Alterations originally dated 1518 with initials and coat of arms of Thomas Lord Dacre over entrance; further alterations between 1678 and 1681 for John Aglionby and C19 additions. Extremely thick walls of squared and coursed red sandstone (from the nearby Roman Wall) on chamfered plinth, parapet over entrance with carved stone eagle finials; steeply pitched graduated greenslate roof with coped gables, brick chimney stacks. 3 storeys (formerly 4 storeys), 5 bays; single-storey single-bay extension to left. C19 gabled brick porch with Welsh slate roof; to right is a blocked round-headed C13 window. C13 blocked round-headed ground floor entrance is partly covered by C16 or C17 external stone steps to first floor. 1517 entrance; iron-studded oak plank door could be original (with later internal lock dated and inscribed J.L. 1681) in pointed-arched and chamfered surround with carved stone panel of arms above. Ground floor and first floor sash windows with glazing bars in enlarged C16 openings. Continuous row of blocked slit vents above. Second floor C16 2-light stone-mullioned windows now have Yorkshire sashes with mullions removed; blocked third floor windows slightly above and between these windows. Rear wall has similar windows and blocked windows. End wall right, which was in danger of collapse, was completely taken down in the late 1970's and rebuilt in facsimile, with broad central buttress and corbelled-out battlemented parapet, which may have been the remains of medieval crenellation. Floor levels of interior changed in C16 and C17: many original features will be covered by later plasterwork. First floor C17 wood-panelled room. Interior of rebuilt end is entirely of breeze blocks and open from floor to roof; roof of king-post trusses could be C16

(Listed Building Report)

Drumburgh Castle, a pre 1306 fortified Manor house (Peel), belonged to Robert le Brun who obtained licence to crenellate in 1307. A ditch to the West and South is probably the only surviving evidence for this building which was demolished and superseded in 1525 by the present building, partly rebuilt in 1681. Most of the masonry for the Castle seems to have been derived from the Roman Wall, and a Roman altar appears to be in (? built into) the outside doorway on the first floor. Drumburgh Castle formed a unit in the long line of English strongholds which guarded the Scottish Border, standing as it does, nearly opposite one of the fords across the Solway. (PastScape ref. McIntire 1929)

DRUMBURGH (NY 266597). Examination by P. Dixon and P. Borne of Drumburgh Castle has shown that the ground floor of Thomas Lord Dacre's early 16th-century stone house incorporates the ruins of a stone hall with blocked windows and an elaborate blocked door of early 13th-century character, presumed to be the remains of the manor house which Richard le Brun fortified after 1307. (Med. Arch. 1979)

March 1593. Note, by Auditor King, of castles and houses of defence adjoining Scotland, and within the West Borders, viz.:—

Drumburgh, neither castle nor tower, but a house of strength, six miles west and by north from Carlisle Castle, and two from Scotland, a very fit place for defence of that part of the Border. (Cal. S.P.Dom.)

Gatehouse Comments

Building with a complex history but in its current (basically C16) form resembles a superior bastle rather than anything else. However as a baronial status multi-storey building recorded in Gatehouse as a tower house.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY265597
Latitude54.927188873291
Longitude-3.14726996421814
Eastings326560
Northings559770
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright John Tustin and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) p. 407
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 66 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 49
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 263
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 40
  • Dixon, P.W., 1993, 'Mota, Aula et Turris: the manor-houses of the Anglo-Scottish border ' in G.E. Meirion-Jones and Michael Jones (eds), Manorial Domestic Buildings in England and Northern France (Society of Antiquaries) p. 102
  • Jackson, M.J.,1990, Castles of Cumbria (Carlisle: Carel Press) p. 54
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 85
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 84-5
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 74
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 188, 202-3
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 2 p. 311 online copy
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 352 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 405 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1853, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 2 p. 225 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Camden, Wm, 1607, Britannia hypertext critical edition by Dana F. Sutton (2004)
  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 93
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1910, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 5 p. 51 online copy

Journals

  • Bennet, J., Herne, A. and Whitworth, A., 1987, '"The Castles", Downhall, Aikton' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 87 p. 81 online copy
  • Webster, L.E. and Cherry, J., 1979, 'Medieval Britain in 1978' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 23 p. 270 online copy
  • Graham, T.H.B., 1933, 'Annals of the Aglionbys' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 33 p. 31 online copy
  • McIntire, W.T., 1929, 'Drumburgh Castle' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 29 p. 205-10 online copy
  • Arch Notes, 1925-6, Transactions of the Dumfriesshire and Galloway Natural History and Antiquarian Society Vol. 13 p. 216 online copy
  • Glaister, J., 1920, 'The Glaisters of Scotland and Cumberland' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 20 p. 220-2 online copy
  • Graham, T.H.B., 1911, 'Extinct Cumberland Castles (Part III)' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 11 p. 241-2 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1894, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward II (1307-13) Vol. 1 p. 11 online copy
  • Green, M.A.E.(ed), 1872, Calendar of State Papers Domestic: Elizabeth, Addenda 1580-1625 p. 17-18 no. 44 (Reference for for Dacre's 1580 survey of the West March) online copy
  • Green, M.A.E.(ed), 1872, Calendar of State Papers Domestic: Elizabeth, Addenda 1580-1625 p. 347-350 online transcription