Drawdykes Castle

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameDrawdykes Castle
Alternative NamesTarraby; Triby
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishStanwix Rural

Farmhouse, formerly tower home. Probably C14, converted to house 1676 by William Thackery and John Aglionby. Mixed red and yellow sandtone walls, mostly from the Roman Wall nearby, gabled slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Basically the original tower with Classical Revival faade and rear windows Chamfered plinth course. Entrance has moulded surround with triangular pediment, C19 6-panel door. Moulded surrounds to sash windows with glazing bars, having alternating segmented and triangular pediments, but no pediments to second floor windows. Calciferous sandstone ashlar quoins, moulded cornice and parapet with central coat of arms over which is carved head possibly of John Aglionby. West wall has roof moulding of adjoining building which was demolished c1764 to build the attached farmhouse (now very much altered). Rear wall has built-in Roman altar; and re-used lintel stone inscribed to Alan de Penitona, who was mayor of Carlisle in 1287, is inside. Interior now used for storage and impossible to inspect. One of the earliest Classical Revival facades in the area. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY419585
Latitude54.9182205200195
Longitude-2.90790009498596
Eastings341920
Northings558560
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 80 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 49
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 48 (slight)
  • Jackson, M.J.,1990, Castles of Cumbria (Carlisle: Carel Press) p. 98
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 85
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 83-4
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 139
  • Hugill, R.,1939, Borderland Castles and Peles (1970 Reprint by Frank Graham) p. 89
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 368
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 2 p. 311 online copy
  • Taylor, M.W., 1892, Old Manorial Halls of Westmorland and Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 8) p. 344 online copy
  • Hutchinson, W., 1794, The history of the county of Cumberland Vol. 2 p. 581 online copy

Journals

  • Graham, T.H.B., 1933, 'Annals of the Aglionbys' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 33 p. 30-31 online copy
  • Graham, T.H.B., 1927, 'Stanwix and Crosby' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 27 p. 38-40 online copy
  • 1922, 'Proceedings ' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 22 p. 452-3 online copy
  • Graham, T.H.B., 1917, 'Nunnery' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 17 p. 8-11 online copy
  • Graham, T.H.B., 1913, 'The Parish of Warwick' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 13 p. 107-8 online copy
  • Graham, T.H.B. and Hodgson, T.H., 1912, 'Extinct Cumberland Castles (Part IV)' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 12 p. 194-200 online copy
  • 1833, The Gentleman's Magazine Vol. 103 Part 1 p. 104 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1909, Calendar of Patent Rolls Richard II (1396-99) Vol. 6 p. 159 online copy