Dockwray Hall, Kendal

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

NameDockwray Hall, Kendal
Alternative NamesDockray Hall; Dockwra Hall; Dockera Hall
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishKendal

A chapel dedicated to St Anne stood near Dockray Hall; here Machell saw a house with chapel-type fabric and windows; the chapel was extant in the 16th century (Nicolson and Burn 1777). Curwen (1900) calls it a "private oratory" only. Dockray Hall, (evidently a pele-tower and house surrounded by a curtain wall (Nicholson)) is sited by Speed's plan (in Curwen) (to Area SD 513933). The site is now largely built over with "villas".

Dockray Hall sited at SD 51349345, otherwise no further information (F1 BHP 27-OCT-72). (PastScape)

Dockwray Hall Barn, probably part of the ancient hall, survived into early 20th century. The Dockray family were purged during the Commonwealth and their hall sold off (and probably mostly demolished at this time). Sir Thomas Docwra was the last Grand Prior of the...English Order of the Knights of St John 1501-27. There is now no trace of this building... (J. Marsh). (Perriam and Robinson 1998)

Gatehouse Comments

Tower destroyed in 1650's.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD513934
Latitude54.3342781066895
Longitude-2.74981999397278
Eastings351340
Northings493450
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 97 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 342
  • Curwen, J.F., 1900, Kirkbie-Kendall: Fragments collected relating to its ancient streets and yards; church and castle; houses and inns (Kendal: Titus Wilson) p. 360 online copy
  • Nicholson, C., 1861 (2edn), Annals of Kendal: being a historical and descriptive account of Kendal and the neighbourhood (London and Kendal) p. 79-80 online copy
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, R., 1777, History and Antiquities of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 75 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Speed, John, 1611-12, The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britain online copy)
  • Manuscripts of the Reverend Thomas Machell, vicar of Kirkby Thore (d 1698) Vol. 2 p. 23 (preserved at the Cumberland Record Office)
  • Anon, C17, A Plan of Kirkby Kendall / with the Castle and Park Lands . ... online copy (shown as 'Dockera Hall Lands' no building is shown and the map probably made after the destruction of the tower)

Other

  • English Heritage, 2006, Extensive Urban Survey - Cumbria (Cumbria County Council) Download copy