Dalston Hall

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameDalston Hall
Alternative NamesDilston
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishDalston

Fortified house now hotel. Mid or late C15, dated by inscription below parapet: JOHN DALLSTON ELSABET MI WYF MAD YS BYLDYNG. West wing c1556 for Sir John Dalston, with central block of c1620; late C17 alterations and further extensions, dated 1899 on lead rainwater heads, by C.J. Ferguson for E.W. Stead. Large blocks of red and calciferous sandstone. Flat lead roofs on towers; graduated greenslate roofs on wings; ashlar chimney stacks. 3-storey C15 tower to right; 4-storey C16 tower to left, linked together by C16 wing with early C17 2-storey projecting entrance bay; flanked by late C19 wings and C19 extension to rear. Early tower has extremely thick walls on chamfered plinth with string courses and battlemented parapet. Angle stair turret projecting above parapet has 4 C15 carved shields of arms of the Kirkbride and Dalston families. 2-light stone mullioned windows in moulded surrounds under hood moulds. 3-light first floor window with rounded heads in round arch. Interior: stone vaulted basement, now library. newel staircase for full 3 storeys to roof. Ground floor inner yett of iron is C15. Bedroom above has mural recess: former fireplace cut through to form bathroom. Wing to left has plank door in roll-moulded architrave. 2- and 3-light stone mullioned windows in roll-moulded architraves. Roll-moulded cornice has cannon-like water spouts. Battlemented tower to left with similar 2- and 3-light windows. Side wall to right has corbelled-out semicircular stair turret from first floor to roof. C19 extensions have stone mullionedwindows imitating the earlier work. C20 extension to extreme right is not of interest. Interior of C16 wing was extensively altered by C.J. Ferguson in Arts and Crafts style; banqueting hall inglenook with firehood of pewter dated 1900 with initials E.W.S. Ground floor room on extreme left has fireplace with William de Morgan tiles. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY376515
Latitude54.8549880981445
Longitude-2.97267007827759
Eastings337670
Northings551550
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 200-1 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 47
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 206
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 40
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 85, 95
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 80-82
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 118-9
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 366-7
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 2 p. 310-11 online copy
  • Jefferson, S., 1838, History and Antiquities of Carlisle p. 394-6 online copy
  • Hutchinson, Wm., 1794, The history of the county of Cumberland Vol. 2 p. 440-456 esp 448 view online copy

Antiquarian

  • Sandford, E. C. 1675, in R.S. Ferguson (ed), 1890, A Cursory Relation of the all the Antiquities and Familyes in Cumberland (Kendal: CWAAS Tract Series 4) p. 29 online copy

Journals

  • Taylor, M.W., 1883, 'On Legends and Inscriptions over Doorways of Old Houses in Cumberland and Westmorland' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 6 p. 280- esp 283 online copy
  • Ferguson, C.J., 1882, The Archaeological Journal Vol. 39 p. 451 online copy
  • Ferguson, C.J., 1874-5, 'The development of Domestic Architecture: Rose Castle and Dalston Hall' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 2 p. 165-71 online copy
  • 1790, The Gentleman's Magazine Part 2 p. 1069-70 online copy