Dallam Tower

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

NameDallam Tower
Alternative Names
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBeetham

The original Dallam Tower, a pele-tower, was built c.1375, and "stood just in front of the present tower, at the foot of the steps, about 20 yards beyond the public road, and looked down the river towards Whitbarrow Scar". It was enclosed c.1546 in a new house, but the whole was evidently demolished in 1720-3, when the present house was built. (PastScape – ref. Curwen)

Dallam Tower, house, etc., 1 m. N.N.W. of the church. The House was entirely re-built by Daniel Wilson in 1720–2, but contains some earlier woodwork re-set. On the ground floor one of the W. rooms is lined with 17th-century panelling including a small cupboard door with the initials and date T.W.D. 1676. In the dining-room is a cupboard (Plate 40) of the local type, said to have come from Beetham Hall; the fascia has the initials and date T. and B.M. 1694. In a room on the first floor is a wooden fireplace surround and overmantel (Plate 99), said to have come from Nether Levens; it has gadrooned and bulbous Ionic columns and an overmantel of three bays divided and flanked by Ionic pilasters; the main panels have cartouches, one bearing the arms of Preston, and on cartouches above is the inscription "Ano. T.P.A. 1602" referring to Thomas Preston. Incorporated with this fireplace is rather later carved work of different provenance. Another room is lined with 17th-century panelling incorporating two panels with the initials R. and E.C. and the date 1685.

At the entrance to the kitchen-garden, S. of the house, is a gabled stone gateway, flanked by panelled pilasters each with a baluster-shaped upper stage and supporting the main entablature and pediment; in the pediment are the initials and date E. and D.W. 1683, for Edward and Dorothy Wilson. (RCHME 1936)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD490810
Latitude54.2225799560547
Longitude-2.78284001350403
Eastings349080
Northings481040
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 46
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 339
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 95 (mislocated in Cumberland); Vol. 2 p. 494
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 103 no. 2 online transcription
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 273
  • Ford, J.Rawlinson (ed), 1906, The Beetham Repository, 1770, by the Rev. William Hutton, vicar of Beetham, 1762-1811 (Kendal: CWAAS Tract Series 7) p. 111
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, B., 1777, The History and Antiquities of the Counties of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 1 p. 227 online copy

Journals

  • Ayre, L.R. (ed), 1896, The North Lonsdale MAgazine and Furness Miscellany Vol. 2 p. 281-