Dalemain

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are masonry footings remains

NameDalemain
Alternative NamesDominicum in valle
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishDacre

Large country house. C15 with C16 additions, C17 alterations and extensive mid 1730's extensions, the initials E.H. over the entrance (Edward Hasell). Earliest parts of calciferous sandstone rubble with pink sandstone rubble extensions and flush quoins. C18 parts of pink sandstone ashlar with rusticated pilasters, string course, open-balustraded parapet and V-jointed quoins, all on moulded plinth. C18 lead downspouts. Graduated hipped greenslate roof with sandstone ashlar chimney stacks. 2-storey, 9-bay facade with wings built around a small courtyard, the rear range incorporating the original house. Facade has central panelled doors in fluted-pilaster pedimented doorcase. Sash windows with glazing bars in stone architraves with false keystones. The 2 end bays at either side are divided by pilasters. Left return wall has 2 bays of similar sash windows; the 5-bay wing has sash windows in stone surrounds. The right return wall has 2 bays similar to the facade, then the 2-bay wing which is carried up to full parapet height for 3½ storeys, with small and large sash windows in stone surrounds. The original house is of 2 or 3 builds, the walls raised to form a uniform parapet in the C18. The central bays are a C15 hall adjoined by what has been interpreted as a tower, but appears to be an integral part of the hall range exhibiting similar C15 features and wall thicknesses. Left C17 chamfered-surround doorway under a large C17 cross-mullioned window. 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, all under hoodmoulds, continuous on lower floor, broken on the upper floor by an C18 sash window beside a blocked 2-light window retaining its hoodmould. Central large chimney stack projects from the parapet, off-set on its right side for its full height. Further sash windows with glazing bars in C18 surrounds between chimney stack and staircase windows, which are in chamfered surrounds. The lowest one is 2-light and between these windows is a cross-and-circle vent stone

The far right 2 bays are part of the C18 wing; the far left bay is a C16 extension with 2-light stone-mullioned windows under hoodmoulds, continued on the left return wall. The inside of the courtyard shows the original front wall of the hall range now with a central late C17 bolection-moulded doorway and sash windows with glazing bars in C18 stone surrounds. The original windows of 2 periods are now blocked but traces remain. The interior has a broad C15 newel staircase and a smaller similar blocked staircase. Beamed ceilings, late C16 panelled rooms with moulded plasterwork. Remainder of the house has C18 features such as panelling, doors, ceilings and woodwork. (Listed Building Report)

Dalemain, now the seat of Edward Hasell, Esq. belonged, in the reign of Henry II. to the Morvilles. In the reign of Henry III. it passed to the Laytons, of whose coheiress it was purchased in 1665 by Sir Edward Hasell, ancestor of the present proprietor. (Lysons 1816)

Gatehouse Comments

Sometimes stated to have started as a C12 fortified site. The citation and evidence for this statement is not given and can not be critically examined. The Morvil family and the Layton family seem to have been minor knights so a peel tower of C14/C15 date here is entirely possible but not a major site. The relationship between this site and nearby Darce Castle is unclear. Dalemain is within a park but this park may originally have belonged to Dacre.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY477268
Latitude54.6343002319336
Longitude-2.81157994270325
Eastings347720
Northings526880
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 184 (plan)
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 48 (slight)
  • Cope, Jean, 1991, Castles in Cumbria (Cicerone Press) p. 107-9
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth) p. 118
  • Lysons, Daniel and Samuel, 1816, 'Antiquities: Castles' Magna Britannia Vol. 4: Cumberland p. 89-90 online copy
  • Hutchinson, Wm., 1794, The history of the county of Cumberland Vol. 1 p. 467 view online copy
  • Nicholson, J. and Burn, R., 1777, History of Westmorland and Cumberland (London) Vol. 2 p. 383 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Ferguson, R.S. (ed), 1889, Description of the County of Cumberland, by Sir Daniel Fleming of Rydal, A.D. 1671 (London and Kendal: Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Tract series 3) p. 19 online copy