Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House, and also as a Possible Pele Tower
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Alternative Names||Camswik; Coneswic; Coningeswyk
|Civil Parish||Underbarrow And Bradleyfield
C19 house, incorporating some C16 fabric. Two storeyed and built of stone rubble with a slate roof. Stands on the site of an earlier building, possibly a pele tower which is recorded as having been demolished circa 1582. Only a strong gate remains of the earlier building. (PastScape)
Cunswick Hall, house, gatehouse and outbuilding, 1½ m. E.N.E. of the church. The House, which belonged to the Leyburne family, has been entirely re-built except for a portion of walling on the N. of the W. wing. This is of rubble and perhaps of early 16th-century date; it contains a stone window of two slightly pointed lights in a square head.
The Gatehouse, S. of the house, is a rubble building of two storeys. It is of 15th or early 16th-century date, but the two arches of the actual gateway have been re-built. Above the N. arch is a re-set stone with the Tudor royal arms, crown and garter. The upper storey has some skewed loop-lights and a semi-circular recess with a drain. The roof incorporates some old timbers. The square rubble building, E. of the gatehouse, was possibly a pigeon-house; the top has been reconstructed. It is of uncertain date.
Condition—Good. (RCHME 1936)
Gatehouse. Probably early C16, arches apparently rebuilt. Limestone walls and voussoirs; greenslate roof with stone ridges. Tudor arms with crown and garter above North Arch. Interior has curved tie-beams and remains of stair or possibly garderobe in thickness of wall. (Listed Building Report)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SD485933