Cumcatch, Brampton

Has been described as a Certain Bastle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameCumcatch, Brampton
Alternative NamesCumcatihe; Cumcatith; Cumeatith; Cumcache; Kumkagh
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBrampton

Byre, formerly Bastle House. Late C16 with C19 alterations and additions. North-east wall is extremely thick mixed rubble, with rubble additions, Welsh slate roof with stone ridge and hips. Formerly 2 storeys, probably 3 bays. Only north-east wall remains with early C19 additions to left and right, under common roof, with rebuilt south-west wall; lean-to farm buildings now cover part of north and all of south wall. One chamfered surround small window, beside C19 entrance, with holes for cross bars now removed, is the only original opening visible. Original entrances to ground and upper floor were probably in southwest wall; no internal remains of stone vaulting. Other filled entrance to right is probably C18, with wooden lintel. In the Gilsland Survey of 1603, this is referred to as 'a faire stonehouse'. (Listed Building Report)

At Cumcatch, in the walls of the present stable are the foundations of a 15/16th c Stone-House, which is referred to in the 1589 survey of Leonard Dacre's possessions. (PastScape ref. Curwen)

Gatehouse Comments

Restored as luxury accommodation early in the 21st century. Now has little visual character as a 17th century building but it should be noted the damage to the architecturally important parts of the bastle stucture, the roof, 1st floor flooring structures and the window and door openings, was done in the 19th century.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY547611
Latitude54.9431915283203
Longitude-2.70742988586426
Eastings354780
Northings561170
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 102 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 145 (plan)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 95
  • Ramm, H.G., McDowall, R.W. and Mercer, E., 1970, Shielings and Bastles (London: HMSO) p. 76 no. 10
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 409
  • Hutchinson, W., 1794, The History of the County of Cumberland (Carlisle) Vol. 1 p. 123 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.). 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16) p. 32