Croglin Vicarage

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameCroglin Vicarage
Alternative NamesKirkcroglin; Rectory Farm; The Old Pele
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishAinstable

Probably early C15 tower house, with late C15 or early C16 hall range, altered in late C17 and late C18, with early C19 barns and rear extensions of 1879. Large blocks of coursed red sandstone to tower and hall, with extensions of hammer dressed red sandstone; Welsh and green slate roofs, stone chimney stacks. Tower of 2 storeys (probably originally 3 storeys), single bay, to right, has walls over 1m thick, roof now gabled. Interior has ground floor vaulted chamber with newel stair, now filled, in north-east angle; entrance from hall is probably C15, later fireplace in rear wall. Upper chamber has remains of stone dividing wall, probably C16, with fireplace in rear and side walls; probable garderobe outlet behind side fireplace; filled window covered by hall wall, suggests hall is of later build than tower. Hall range to left of 2 storeys, 3 bays, has similar stonework to tower, with walls 1m thick, rear wall now internal. Probably the most complete fortified vicarage in the area. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY575472
Latitude54.818531036377
Longitude-2.66230988502502
Eastings357540
Northings547270
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Harrison, Peter, 2004, Castles of God (Woodbridge; Boydell Press) p. 67
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 119 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 44
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 48 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 84
  • Hugill, Robert, 1977, Castles and Peles of Cumberland and Westmorland (Newcastle; Frank Graham) p. 76-77
  • Pevsner, N., 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth: Penguin) p. 112
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 364

Journals

  • Graham, T.H.B., 1920, 'The Eastern Fells. Part II. Kirk Croglin and Little Croglin' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 20 p. 34 online copy