Croglin Low Hall

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameCroglin Low Hall
Alternative NamesCroglin Grange; Crogling
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishKirkoswald

Farmhouse, formerly tower house and hall. Probably C15 tower and early C16 hall, with early C17 alterations and additions, further late C18 extensions and alterations; manor house of the de Croglin, Dacre and Howard families. Large blocks of red sandstone in 2 right bays are the lower storey of original tower, reduced to single storey, rebuilt to 2½ storeys and extended with a 2 bay hall in smaller red sandstone rubble; further extensions and walls raised slightly in similar stonework, all under common green slate roof; large square chimney stack above tower and end stone chimney stacks; C18 single bay extension to extreme left is of coursed red sandstone rubble, Welsh slate roof of slightly lower level with end stone chimney stack; 2-storey, 3-bay wing at right-angles to tower, is of red sandstone rubble with sandstone slate roof of lower level than main house. Original courtyard entrance to tower has plank door, painted chamfered surround with semicircular arch; small square window to right. Early C17 chamfered mullioned windows of 2&3 -lights, have been filled on ground floor and replaced by late C18 double sash window with plain painted stone surround; upper floor central window has been partly filled. Garden front has further tower entrance to left, now covered by projecting C19 wash-house. Small opening to right is original fire window, now internally blocked. 3 periods of fenestration; 2 small square upper floor early C16 blocked windows in hall extension; 2&3-light early C17 chamfered mullioned windows, in hall and tower, have mostly been blocked or enlarged with late C18 sash windows with glazing bars. End wall of tower, left, has similar mullioned windows, now with C20 casements and 2 small square attic openings. Extension to right of hall, has top glazed 6-panel door in plain stone surround; broad sash windows with glazing bars in plain stone surrounds. Rear wall of C18 extension is blank

Courtyard wing has C16 or C17 partly filled entrance with moulded architrave, now C20 casement window. Chamfered-surround, 2-light window to right. Early C18 entrance to right has chamfered surround, 2-pane sash window above has similar surround. 2 other windows are C19. End wall has been rebuilt in late C19 to form passage between the adjoining barn, listed separately. Gateway and gatehouse are also listed separately. Nearby chapel, belonging to the house, was demolished in C19. Best known for its associations with the Croglin Vampire. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY554450
Latitude54.7980918884277
Longitude-2.69461989402771
Eastings355440
Northings545050
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 120-1 (plan)

Journals

  • Clive-Ross, F., 1963, 'The Croglin vampire' Tomorrow Vol. 11 no. 11 p. 103-9
  • Graham, T.H.B., 1920, 'The Eastern Fells. Part II. Kirk Croglin and Little Croglin' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 20 p. 35-41 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Gairdner, J. (ed), 1883, Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, of the Reign of Henry VIII Vol. 7 p. 249 No. 646.9 online copy