Cowmire Hall, Crosthwaite and Lyth

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameCowmire Hall, Crosthwaite and Lyth
Alternative NamesCawmire; Comer; Calmire
Historic CountryWestmorland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishCrosthwaite and Lyth

Cowmire Hall is of three storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The pele tower, which forms the west wing of the present house, was built probably in the 16th century when it belonged to the family of Briggs. The main block of the house was added probably by Richard Fleming at the end of the 17th century. The pele-tower (22 ft by 17 ft externally), appears to have had a staircase in the north east angle and there is a garderobe projection at the north west angle. The tower has a later gabled roof with chimney stacks, each having two conjoined cylindrical shafts. Inside the tower, the ground-floor rooms have each a plain barrel-vault and the rooms above have exposed ceiling-beams. The main block of the house has a symmetrically designed east front; the windows are of two transomed lights with solid frames. At the south end is a chimney-stack, similar to those described above. (PastScape–ref. listed building description)

Cowmire Hall (Plate 21), over ¾ m. S.E. of Bowland Bridge, is of three storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The pele-tower, which forms the W. wing of the present house, was built probably in the 16th century when it belonged to the family of Briggs. The main block of the house was added probably by Richard Fleming at the end of the 17th century. The pele-tower (22 ft. by 17 ft. externally), appears to have had a staircase in the N.E. angle and there is a garde-robe projection at the N.W. angle. In the N. wall, at the first-floor level is an original window of four round-headed lights in a square head; above is a similar window of three lights. The S. wall has a similar four-light window in both the upper floors. Inserted 17th-century windows on the N. light the later staircase

The tower has a later gabled roof with chimney-stacks, each having two conjoined cylindrical shafts. Inside the tower, the ground-floor rooms have each a plain barrel-vault and the rooms above have exposed ceiling-beams. The main block of the house has a symmetrically designed E. front; the windows are of two transomed lights with solid frames. At the S. end is a chimney-stack, similar to those described above. Inside the main building, the hall has a stone fireplace (Plate 41) with a vine-pattern border and a round panel on the lintel with the arms of Fleming. The late 17th-century staircase has turned balusters and square newels with ball terminals and turned pendants. There are some panelled doors of the same age. Adjoining the house on the W. and to the N.E. of the house are outbuildings, probably of early 18th-century date. The gate-piers with ballterminals, E. of the house, are probably of the same date.

Condition—Good. (RCHME 1936)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD427887
Latitude54.2907905578613
Longitude-2.8809700012207
Eastings342730
Northings488720
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 337 (plan)
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 274 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 492
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1967, Buildings of England: Cumberland and Westmorland (Harmondsworth) p. 245
  • RCHME, 1936, An inventory of the historical monuments in Westmorland (HMSO) p. 91 no. 3 plan [online transcription > http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=120748]

Journals

  • Collingwood, W.G., 1920, 'Proceedings' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 20 p. 233-4 online copy
  • Cowper, H.S., 1901, 'Cawmire or Comer Hall' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 1 p. 119-28 online copy

Other

  • Clare, T., 1982, A Report on Medieval Fortified Sites in Cumbria (Cumbria CC)