Bunkershill

Has been described as a Questionable Bastle

There are major building remains

NameBunkershill
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishAlston Moor

Bunkershill. A derelict farmstead, probably circa 1700, retaining the old bastle form of a dwelling over a byre. There are many later alterations and additions; the floor to the upper storey is now gone and the roof is modern. (PastScape ref. Ramm et al, 1970)

built around 1700 to the west of the later Alston to Middleton road, overlooking Garrigill and the South Tyne valley. ..., the relative thinness of their walls and the quantity of fenestration on their upper floors betray them as developments, rather than examples, of buildings with a defensive purpose. Indeed, the term ‘house-over-byre’ might be more appropriately used to describe these buildings than ‘bastle derivative’, as the latter term is cemented with connotations of defensibility whilst the former demonstrates the general usage of the building type. (Jessop and Whitfield)

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY747419
Latitude54.7715682983398
Longitude-2.39352989196777
Eastings374780
Northings541920
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Peter McDermott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 33 (plan)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. lxviii
  • Ramm, H.G., McDowall, R.W. and Mercer, E., 1970, Shielings and Bastles (London: HMSO) p. 74-5 no. 2

Other

  • Jessop, L. and Whitfield, M. 2010, The Parish of Alston Moor, Cumbria: Historic Area Assessment (English Heritage Research Department Reports series 64-2010) p. 138 online copy