Brampton Old Church Farm

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameBrampton Old Church Farm
Alternative NamesVicars Pele
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishBrampton

Farmhouse, formerly the vicar's tower house. Probably early 14th century with 18th and 19th century additions. Tower has rubble and dressed red sandstone walls with chamfered plinth, some stones of Roman origin from the nearby Roman Wall; 19th century gabled slate roof. There is an 18th century extension of brick, with extensive alterations and additions in the mid 19th century, of dressed red sandstone, slate roof, brick chimney stacks. Tower of two storeys, single bay, has large projecting angle buttress to left (necessary because of the steep fall of land on this side). Small square window to ground floor, with 20th century casement to left, small filled lancet with round head above. Right end wall has filled entrance, with chamfered and shouldered lintel. Remains of newel staircase in thickness of wall. Two storey, three bay extension to right, has casements and sashes with glazing bars. Central projecting single storey, single bay extensions with sloping slate roof. Entrance front looks mid 19th century, with slightly projecting end bay of the original tower. Projecting porch/staircase has 20th century glazed door. Small and large casements with glazing bars. Built on a good defensive site next to the medieval church. (PastScape)

Farmhouse, formerly vicar's tower house. Probably early C14 with C18 and C19 additions. Tower has rubble and dressed red sandstone walls with chamfered plinth, some stones of Roman origin from the nearby Roman Wall; C19 gabled slate roof. C18 extension of brick, with extensive alterations and additions in mid-C19 of dressed red sandstone, slate roof, brick chimney stacks. Tower of 2 storeys, single bay, has large projecting angle buttress to left (necessary because of the steep fall of land on this side). Small square window to ground floor, with C20 casement to left, small filled lancet with round head above. right end wall has filled entrance, with chamfered and shouldered lintel

Remains of newel staircase in thickness of wall. 2 storey, 3 bay extension to right, has casements and sashes with glazing bars. Central projecting single storey, single bay extensions with sloping slate roof. Entrance front looks mid-c19, with slightly projecting end bay of the original tower. Projecting porch/staircase has C20 glazed door. Small and large casements with glazing bars. Built on a good defensive site next to the medieval church. Listing does not include the other farm buildings. (Listed Building Report)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY510616
Latitude54.9466094970703
Longitude-2.76608991622925
Eastings351020
Northings561600
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 1998, The Castles and Tower Houses of Cumbria (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 96 (slight)
  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 139 (plan)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 83

Journals

  • John Robinson, 1982, 'Notes on Brampton Old Church' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 82 p. 73-89 online copy
  • Simpson, F.G. and Richmond, I.A., 1936, 'Report of the Cumberland Excavation Committee for 1935' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 36 p. 178 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Graham, T. H. B. (ed.), 1934, The barony of Gilsland. Lord William Howard's survey, taken in 1603 (Feild-Booke yt explaines all the Map Booke for Gilsland taken in 1603) (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 16) p. 40