Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)
There are earthwork remains
|Alternative Names||Beaumont on Eden
Despite construction of a 12th century church and churchyard on the summit of the mound, Beaumont motte survives reasonably well. It is the lowest of the medieval castles which lined the Eden Valley and was of strategic importance in controlling movement along the river valley. More important, however, was the role it played in imposing and demonstrating the new post-Conquest feudal order on the area. Limited excavation in the churchyard extension to the west of the motte in 1928 found evidence of the buried remains of Hadrian's Wall, and further evidence of the wall foundations, including the foundations of turret 70a, will exist beneath the motte.
The monument includes Beaumont motte castle, beneath which are the buried remains of a length of Hadrian's Wall and a turret, 70a. The site is strategically situated on a local high point overlooking the River Eden and lies in Beaumont village beneath St Mary's Church and part of the churchyard.
The motte is oval-shaped and measures approximately 45m north-south by 40m east-west and is up to 2m high. Beneath the motte there are the foundations of a turf section of Hadrian's Wall; an excavation in the churchyard's western extension a few metres to the west of the motte in 1928 proved the existence of these remains. It is also known that Hadrian's Wall changed alignment on the elevated ground beneath the motte. The Wall approached this high point on an approximate north west-south east alignment. On reaching the summit it swung 36 degrees to the west to follow an east-west alignment. At this angle turret 70a was constructed and its remains will also exist below the motte.
The motte castle is thought to have been constructed by the le Brun family during the 12th century. In 1306 Sir Richard le Brun was lord of Beaumont but removed his residence to Drumburgh Castle, for which he received a licence to crenellate in 1307
However, it is probable that the motte had been abandoned shortly before this date for it is known that Sir Elias de Thirwall had been appointed rector of St Mary's Church in 1296. (Scheduling Report)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY348592