Penstowe Castle, Kilkhampton

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NamePenstowe Castle, Kilkhampton
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCornwall
Modern AuthorityCornwall
1974 AuthorityCornwall
Civil ParishKilkhampton

Earthworks of a motte and bailey, possibly an adulterine castle which was destroyed during the reign of Henry II (1154-89). Excavations on the motte, in 1950, located buildings and C12 pottery. Motte measured 18m east-west by 8m north-south and had an approximate height of 9.3m. It was separated from the inner bailey by a ditch 8m wide and 3.6m deep. Inner bailey was rectangular in plan, it measured 32m east-west by 26m north-south and was surrounded by a rampart 9m wide and 2.4m high on the east side. The north and south sides were defined by a bank 2m wide and 0.5m high. The outer bailey was separated from the inner bailey by a V-shaped ditch 7m wide and 1.5m deep. It measured 26m east-west by 17m north-south. Traces of a rampart, 3m wide and 1.2m high, were identified on the east side. No traces of buildings were identified in either of the baileys. (PastScape)

It is likely that the motte and bailey castle at Kilkhampton was built in between 1066 and the end of the 12th century AD. No documentation is available relating directly to the castle, so a more exact date is not possible. The site now exists as a series of earthworks, apart from some footings remaining on the motte. It is sited on top of an elongated knoll, from which the ground falls very steeply to deep valleys on the north and south, and is approached by a narrow neck of land from the east. The castle consists of a motte with two baileys: one of two known examples in Cornwall (the other being East Leigh Berries . The oval motte is situated at the western end of the castle. It is 18m in length east to west, and 8m from north to south. A V-shaped ditch below the motte separates it from the inner bailey. The inner bailey is rectangular and measures 30m east to west, and 25m north to south

The outer bailey, separated from the inner by a V-shaped ditch, is of a trapezoidal form: 24m east to west; 20m north to south; 14m north to south-east. (Cornwall & Scilly HER)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSS243115
Latitude50.8769416809082
Longitude-4.49931001663208
Eastings224310
Northings111580
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright John Duncan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.
Copyright John Duncan and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Higham, Robert A., 1999, 'Castles, Fortified Houses and Fortified Towns in the Middle Ages' in Kain, R. and Ravenhill, W., Historical Atlas of South-West England (University of Exeter Press) p. 136-43
  • Salter, Mike, 1999, The Castles of Devon and Cornwall (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 21
  • Spreadbury, I. D., 1984, Castles in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (Redruth)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 73
  • Dew, R., 1926, A History of the Parish and Church of Kilkhampton (London) p. 6, 66
  • Cornish, J.B., 1906, 'Ancient Earthworks' in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Cornwall Vol. 1 p. 465-6 online copy
  • Lysons, D. and S., 1814, Magna Britannia Vol. 3 Cornwall online transcription

Journals

  • Preston-Jones, Ann and Rose, Peter, 1986, 'Medieval Cornwall' Cornish Archaeology Vol. 25 p. 135-185 online copy
  • Heard, R., 1972, Cornwall Archaeological Society: newsletter Vol. 8 p. 4
  • Peter, O.B., 1902, 'The ancient earth-fenced town and village sites of Cornwall' Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall Vol. 15 p. 113 online copy
  • Clark, G.T., 1889, 'Contribution towards a complete list of moated mounds or burhs' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 46 p. 197-217 esp. 202 online copy

Other

  • Reynolds, Ann, 1999, Kilkhampton Castle Farm: an archaeological and historical assesment (CAU report 1999/5)
  • Preston-Jones, Ann, 1988, Kilkhampton Casyle: archaeology, history, management (CAU report 1988/2)
  • National Trust, 1986, The National Trust Archaeological Survey of Duckpool and Sandymouth (unpub)