Newton St Loe

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Manor House

There are major building remains

NameNewton St Loe
Alternative NamesSt Loes Castle
Historic CountrySomerset
Modern AuthorityBath and North East Somerset
1974 AuthorityAvon
Civil ParishNewton St Loe

Site of a fortified manor house and deer park, occupied possibly from the 12th century. The fortified manor house consisted of a rectangular courtyard with square corner towers and connecting ranges behind a curtain wall, surrounded on at least three sides by a ditch. Excavation has identified three main medieval building phases, the principal one being during the first quarter of the 14th century, and a ceramic sequence from the 12th/13th centuries to the 18th century. The gatehouse was built in the mid 15th century. During the 16th century alterations were made to the defences and domestic buildings. The mound lying north of the keep was proved by excavation to be the remains of a tower at the termination of the east curtain wall. Most of the complex was demolished during landscaping of the park in the 18th century. (PastScape)

A large, fortified tower, formerly known as a keep, but actually part of a fortified manor house. C14, altered and remodelled C16 and late C17, restored C19, porch added C18. Rubble, freestone dressings, hipped slate roof set back and concealed behind a tall, embattled ashlar parapet which is inset with shields of arms, moulded string and gargoyles. Irregular L-plan with C16 extension to north and C18 projecting porch. 3 storeys and vaulted basement. South Elevation. Three 4-light cross windows in hollow chamfered surrounds and with segmental heads, and under dripmoulds. West Elevation. In the centre is a part square and part circular stairtower with a quatrefoil parapet and 2-light windows with cusped heads. Blocked windows at south end. Single storey, C18 projecting entrance at north west: 2 large 4-centred arches, one blocked and embattled parapet. Inverted V-mark of former wing. Lower, 2 storey wing at north has two 2-light casement windows in hollow surrounds and with segmental heads, under dripmoulds. Interior

Chamfered and 4-centre headed doorway leads to a vaulted chamber at the south end: adjoining chamber with a garderobe. Stone newel stair. The room on the 3rd floor has a C17 freestone fireplace in a moulded surround and with a 4-centred head and a moulded overmantel. (Listed Building Report 1129476)

Gatehouse. C15, altered late C18 - early C19. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings, hipped slate roofs concealed behind plain and embattled parapets. 2 storeys. West Elevation. Central, heavily moulded, 4-centred archway with portcullis groove. Large studded plank doors with strap hinges and wicket door. Flanking square buttresses (C18 - C19) with embattled tops and embattled parapet on moulded corbels between the buttresses. The right hand buttress partly obscures a single light window in a double chamfered surround. East Elevation. 2-light casement windows in double chamfered surrounds, to 3 stages. Buttresses with off-sets flank the archway. The archway has a 2 bay tierceron vault springing from clustered triple shafts and enriched capitals, bosses carved with foliage, arms, Tudor roses and heads. The north wall is pierced by 2 segmental headed openings. (Listed Building Report 1136324)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceST694639
Latitude51.3740310668945
Longitude-2.4409499168396
Eastings369400
Northings163970
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Michael Day and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.
Copyright Michael Day and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.
Copyright Michael Day and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 600-2
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of Wessex (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 79
  • Dunning, Robert, 1995, Somerset Castles (Somerset Books) p. 61-2
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 222
  • Dunning, Robert, 1991, Some Somerset Country Houses p. 105-9
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 444
  • Pevsner, N., 1958, Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol (Harmondsworth) p. 234
  • Cooke, R., 1957, West Country Houses p. 166-8
  • Collinson, J., 1791, The History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset (Bath) Vol. 3 p. 342-5 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 429
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1910, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 5 p. 103 online copy

Journals

  • Arnold, C.J., 2001, Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society Vol. 143 p. 57-115
  • Iles, R., 1984, Bristol and Avon Archaeology Bristol and Avon Archaeological Society Vol. 3 p. 63
  • Iles, R., 1983, Bristol and Avon Archaeology Bristol and Avon Archaeological Society Vol. 2 p. 55
  • Youngs, S.M. and Clark, J., 1982, 'Medieval Britain in 1981' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 26 p. 170 online copy
  • Youngs, S.M. and Clark, J., 1981, 'Medieval Britain in 1980' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 25 p. 200 online copy
  • Kenyon, J.R., 1981 'Early Artillery Fortifications in England and Wales: a Preliminary Survey and Re-appraisal' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 138 p. 227
  • Arnold, C.J., 1980, 'The fortified manor house at Newton St Loe: interim report on the excavations' Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society Vol. 124 p. 77-86
  • Iles, R., 1978, Bristol Archaeological Research Group (B.A.R.G.) Bulletin Vol. 6 No 5 p. 117
  • Kenyon, J.R., 1977, 'Early Gunports' Fort Vol. 4 p. 83
  • Webster, L.E. and Cherry, J., 1977, 'Medieval Britain in 1976' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 21 p. 233 online copy
  • Tipping, H.A., 1910 Jan , Country Life
  • Strachey, Edward, 1867, Proceedings of the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society Vol. 14 p. 82-102