Now largely ruinous.
Description: The castle is overlooked by higher ground to the S and this side is therefore the focus of the defences. Large ditches to this and the E sides. The castle is in 2 sections, with a large D-shaped keep known as the "Welsh Tower" in a walled upper ward at the E. This was of 2 floors plus basement. One first-floor lancet, originally lighting the hall survives to the S. The lower ward is dominated by a 2-storey circular tower to the W, and the whole is encircled by the remains of a curtain wall, originally about 15ft high. Within this there were entrances to both wards from the N. At the N/E corner a bridge originally gave access over the eathworks, the evidence for which is still visible.
An important indigenous castle from the period of the Welsh conquest by the English. (Listed Building Report)
A two storeyed "D" shaped tower, c.16m E-W by 11m, is set within an irregular enclosure, c.28-31m in diameter, defined by scarping and revetting a natural knoll. On the W a second, lower enclosure abutts, having a circular tower, c.13m in diameter, at its W end. The work is deeply ditched on the S, with a substantial counterscarp, the ground falling away on the N. The site is set within a wooded dingle. A castle built c.1257 and thought to have been disused after 1277. Probably built by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd.
Eggelawe 1212 (Pipe). 1213 (RLP I, 100a). Identificated by Mrs. Armitage and accepted as such by R.Allen Brown (no. 113), but the references to Eggelawe associate it with Oswestry, Carrehofa, Chirk, and Shrawardine; and there is no evidence for any work of this period at Ewloe. The most probable identification is Belan Bank, which lies close to the farm Edgerley. It is, however, just within Kinnerley parish, and is mentioned as Kinardsley in 1223. (Hogg and King, 1963, p. 123)
The pipe roll entry for pickaxes and provisions (picoisiis et warnistura) may suggest rock cut ditches or quarrying rather than building work. Ditches, per se, are very difficult to date. - comments by Philip Davis